• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI FANstrain my vid card fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Hi all i wanted to get a pci card fan and put it under my video card
BUt then i thought since its sucking the air the the gcard fan is trying to blow on the graphics card with thishurt the fan or decrease cooling on my vid card?

PCI fan looks like THIS

I was gonna pu tthat in the slot under my vid card

Thanks

~Zoltan

yeah that would be a problem, to aleviate this though you could either disconnect the vid card fan and let the pci blower do its job and suck the hot air off the video card. To make it more effective put a custom heatsink on the video card without the flat area for the fan in the middle

i dont know where they get the 42cfm rating though... it would have to spin extremely fast to get that i think

max

Don't knock the CFM on that fan, it's an impeller design and way more efficient at moving air than an axial fan. Linky

I don't think it will screw with the vid card cooler very much, but the increased back pressure could make the cooler more inefficient as a unit. As a whole though, I think the temperatures will drop a lot as air is not just being circulated around underneath the graphics card, instead being sucked out.

Im just worried it will burn out th efan on the gcard cuz it could be stressed and it that damn 9700 aiw gets really hot so i would like to have good cooling.
What if i put one of those at the really bottom level 2nd last pci slot?
I just dont wanna buy on of these things for nothing :p

ill attach a pic after

BESTPI~1.JPG

does that look like i have enough room?

OK I assume that the PCI blower isn't in there right now, but you could try putting it in a lower slot like anvil said. PCI blowers are a great design but don't suck out hot air, just air in the bottom of the case. However if you have a beast of a graphics card then the air spilled out by the cooler has nowhere to go. I say put it in a lower slot to let the card's cooler do it's job.

L337 M33P said:
OK I assume that the PCI blower isn't in there right now, but you could try putting it in a lower slot like anvil said. PCI blowers are a great design but don't suck out hot air, just air in the bottom of the case. However if you have a beast of a graphics card then the air spilled out by the cooler has nowhere to go. I say put it in a lower slot to let the card's cooler do it's job.

as in the 2nd last pci slot i have?

Back