• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

audio / visual stutter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThetaDot

I've recently done a move over from an old HD. I installed XP onto the new one, moved my files over yadda yadda...

Anyway very frequently I will get these little stutters.. both in my audio and visually with the mouse. I've updated the drivers on my Sound Blaster Live! Value card... and the drivers on my NVidia GeForce 4 TI 4200 64 MB card.. I don't know why it's stuttering... It's most apparent if I'm playing a song.

It just seems to me like the processor hangs or is working very hard for a short amount of time... I don't know

I would definitely run a diagnostic on the new hard drive. Go to the manufactures site and they should have a utility.

I had a WD 40 Gig that recently started doing this. Ran the WD utility and the drive was bad. RMA Time.

ok don't tell me that. I just spent 3 days getting all my data onto this drive
grrrrr

HOw am I supposed to back up my data if I have nothing to back it up on?

Ok I ran the DLGDIAG.exe program from WD off the Data Lifeguard disk that came with the HD.. I ran the test and it found no errors.

*sigh
I am starting to think it is the hard drive. I tried copying a big file around just to make it do something large, and played music while I was doing it and right as it started the copy it stuttered for about 2 seconds. Is it because I have 2 partitions?
And the HD sounds like a clock... every 1 to 5 seconds it makes a small click... maybe it's just reading from it. I don't know.

I have resolved the issue. Apparently there was an IRQ conflict between my ATA card and another device. I simply plugged the hard drive into the intel IDE slot on the motherboard and it works fine.

Just to note: the fix would NOT have worked if I had a partition on the HD larger than 137 GB, the motherboard can't read that. However, since I had already split the 160 GB into two partitions (30 GB and 130 GB), it is acceptable.

Back