• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SHould I Cool my cHIpset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Should i be cooling my chipset (thats the silver heatsink right :p) with a tiny fan, should i just use hotglue or will that melt. Because my vcore might be going to 1.8 i was just wondering if i should start...cooling it?

|Thanks|

Zoltan

well your vcore is for you processor but a fan is fine and hot blue probably wont melt unless it gets very very hot now and will stay very hot with a fan (unlikly). Why do you think it MIGHT be?

well i wanna try and push 2500mhz, im only at 2190 and im at 1.7vcore.
Im just having trouble passing 200fsb...(like it wont go past) there is nothing after i only have 133 166 200 as my fsb choices...so i dunno i thought maybe bumping the vcore would help..no?

Edit: Oh and yes i can find the ninja in your avatar ;)

many northbridges are already cooled, and i assume yours has passive cooling. i would definately put a fan on it, because as others have suggested here at the forums, ....if you don't see a performance increase, you'll most likely get longer life from any cooled component, and maybe even stability too.

i say go for it, and as for the glue, i think your hot glue gun would work better than the super glue that others have used successfully

some folks are even cooling the mosfets , and the southbridge on nf2 boards as well. i'm not sure what chipset your board has, but the kt333, and kt400 in my boards don't have heat issues with the northbridge, but i removed the stock hsf, and used asIII to help in cooling them better , and i will eventually replace the stock hsf, with something better sooner or later....

good luck...;)

ok im sorta a noob, dont know much about mobos

I could just do a search on google but i might as well ask here first. What are mosfets what do they look like and where is the southbridge on my board?

usually the mosfets look like small black squares, and they have legs sticking out on one side....some are mounted upwards, and some are flat to the board, ..looking like the legs are bent. "the lega are soldered to the board."

as for the southbridge, it should be the big square chip on your board, near the first 2 pci slots , and just below your agp slot.

on many boards, the southbridge and mosfets don't need cooling, but if are so inclined to do so, it's most likely going to do some good, and no harm....;)

Back