• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which wuold you use on SB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thorilan

ok i lapped my southbridge on my NS7-S Ver2.0 and i will end up cooling it with the north bridge HSF .

the thing is that the abit NB HSF comes with one of those thermal stickypads and im debating .

use the sticky pad or use arctic alumina thermal apoxy .

you are probly wondering what i will cool the north bridge with =)

water cooling of coarse:)

im just wondering hat HS to use on the Sata controller chip =)

Well first off I wouldn't worry about lapping a sb and second I would use the thermal tape for two reasons, one it makes rma's easier and two it won't get that hot.

My NF7-S NB heatsink had a small amount of thermal paste, not a thermal pad.

It seems like the time of lapping the chip would be wasted if you use thermal tape/pad. You might as well use the epoxy since the lapped chip has, as stated above, removed any chance of a RMA. You will get a better thermal interface as well, which is always good.

I think the lapping sorta killed the possability of a RMA
i dont rma

as far as it getting hot yes the south bridge does get hot as shown by thermal spectra graph and pyro imaging . i have already mounted a huge HS with fan on the mosfets and once i decide which heatsink to use on the sata raid controller that will be etting some uber cooling action too :)

oh and some smaller heatsinks on some of the other controller ic also

It seems like the time of lapping the chip would be wasted if you use thermal tape/pad. You might as well use the epoxy since the lapped chip has,
yeah your right i already put in the time might as well make sure its the best possible junction

actualy thats a diferent image because the ones i did where of an actual nf7 board but i could not take pictures because its at work durring working hours and my students boss was kinda wondering what i was doing in his lab < evil grin>

Hey when your all done w/ this you better post plenty of pics. And by how much you increased your overclock.

How high do you plan on vdd modding it to ?

i think that cooling the southbridge wont help increase an overclock, but it will help on stability issues since it contolls your harddrives and such.

i think that cooling the southbridge wont help increase an overclock, but it will help on stability issues since it contolls your harddrives and such.
this is pertty much why im cooling it ( especialy since ill be using the onboard lan 24/7 and raid0 sata barracuda 8MB cache drives

my mosfets and NB cooling will help on the overclock though and im not sure how far i will push it till i actualy have it complete and stuff
im doing lots of mods and custom buildling the res and getting a special cather cascade and waiting for him to sell his hydro NB cooler when he finishes it up .i hope my patience will hold though as i do all the mods cause im really anxious to show it off but i dont want a good looking rig. i want a GREAT rig :)

my advice to anyone that is OCing : HEATSINK your mosfets and use a GOOD psu

Back