• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I expect better than this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1MG ^Hawk^

Registered
OK, I've been messing around with my settings and I seem to have hit a wall. Shouldn't I be able to do better than this with a 2600+ /333? I'm thrilled I got 400Mhz extra out of it, but I'm reading that other are getting better results out of earlier CPU's. Am I missing something?

I've put a fan on my NB and heat sinked the SB. My CPU diode reads 62C under prime torture test.

Any ideas? My info is in my sig.

Thanks,
^Hawk^

2.4 is quite a nice oc. its pretty good even for the 1700+ the only reason why it seems so moderate is your cpu has a high frequncy to begin with.. so your overclock dont seem as grand as the 1700+ but overall thats a pretty good oc on air cooling

that temp is kinda high though =d you might wanna look into that.. i bet if you gotten that lower you can push your speeds up more.. you should look into a slk-800.. it'll drop your temps by a great deal maybe even give you more oc headroom

Hmmmmm

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try and clean my HS today and reset it with fresh AS3, maybe I put too much on?

I'm inclined to disagree with you about the SLK-800 vs my Swiftech. Several reviews and roundups have put this HS at the top or near the top everytime. Here's a link where the Swiftech beat an SLK-900 which should do a better job than the 800.

http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=714

Regardless, I'm definately way too hot for my liking. I'm at 54C on the diode as I type this with nothing really open and running. :mad:

^Hawk^

1MG ^Hawk^ said:
OK, I've been messing around with my settings and I seem to have hit a wall. Shouldn't I be able to do better than this with a 2600+ /333? I'm thrilled I got 400Mhz extra out of it, but I'm reading that other are getting better results out of earlier CPU's. Am I missing something?

I've put a fan on my NB and heat sinked the SB. My CPU diode reads 62C under prime torture test.

Any ideas? My info is in my sig.

Thanks,
^Hawk^

If you have the 333fsb chpset you will probably be stuck near there. A amd barton 2500+ would prob get you to where we were whuch was 210X12 with ocz elddr dual chan.3500 ram in sync. but going that high often borked the board. Thats right borked the board. Also, we used the 1004 bios for better fsb. Try that, but be careful, one day it wont boot post or gag. just coma. We got the newest back to the drawing board 400 fsb chipset board and it is working ike clockwork. at 230 X12 and booed xp pro. a glitch in the northbridge waterblock cause us to about that and worh on that. Oh, you are running at a high temp! At load with all overclocked settings we are at 38c with our h2o and peltier. We improvmets and may get sooler than that. Northbridge is about 95 f yours must be inthe 130's if so it wont be long before youre mobo shopping again

One source isnt enough to prove that the mx462 is better.. i've read quite a good deal of heatsink reviews and most of them put the slk-800 on top..

the heatsink review on this forum puts it way up higher than mx462.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

but since you arleady invested in an expensive heatsink i dont see the point in gettin another one.

one thing about that heatsink.. since its a bolt one you might be not screwing it on tight enough.. bad contact can be a cause of your high temps...

personally i prefer the ziff sockets i think its easier to put on and i dont need to worry about the pressure i need to make good contact with the cpu

Agreed

I wasn't arguing mine was better, I've just seen it at or near the top of the charts, so I didn't want to shell out more money for another HS.

On my son's system, were running an XP2000+ on a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT-333 slightly overclocked and he doesn't even touch 36C under Prime 95. He has one of those Thermaltake Cool Mod HS. Go figure.....:rolleyes:

Yep

Running in sync. This was my first major attempt at overclocking. I'm going to be in the market for a new MB and CPU in the very near future. I need to replace my wifes HP Pavillion 600Mhz. Not sure if I want another Asus A7N8X Deluxe or go with something different. Any input is always appreciated.

Try the Abit NF7 (-S) model. Better for overclocking and it's nice to try out different hardware anyway.

Re: Yep

1MG ^Hawk^ said:
Running in sync. This was my first major attempt at overclocking. I'm going to be in the market for a new MB and CPU in the very near future. I need to replace my wifes HP Pavillion 600Mhz. Not sure if I want another Asus A7N8X Deluxe or go with something different. Any input is always appreciated.

The new A7N8X dlx with the new 400 fsb chipset it seems to be a great board and a good board for ocing an AMD barton cpu. Have had no probs from this one, guess going back to the drawing board from all the complaints has made a difference. Good luck with whatever you get!:D

Tweaker

Back