• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just built new P4 3.06, but need advice on temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kent

SOYO P4I845PE, P4 3.06, etc... Just finished it last night and it booted. Always a tense moment! :) Anyway, went right into bios and looked at the temps. CPU was steady at 45C/113F. This is with a Thermalright AX-478 and a 53cfm fan. Took sink off, reseated. Still 45C/113F. Should I have lower temps in Windows, after I install XP Pro? Thanks, Kent :)

i doubt there will be lower temps... but some mobos do seem to report high temps. if you think those are high temps did you use thermal paste... if yes, did you use only a thin layer?

A thin layer is all that the cpu core needs, putting alot of thermal compound wont help. For me, in the BIOS, which is basically idle it has reported a couple of degrees higher, than when in Windows idle, and yes, of course different motherboards detect different temperatures, if you dont overclock, you should not be be worried at all.

Thanks guys. I just took off the AX-478 and installed the Retail sink/fan, still using a thin layer of AS3. The CPU temp was the same, 45C/113F. Took off the retail and installed the AX-478 again and still 45C. Looks like the temp won't change no matter what. 45C idle is high, isn't it?

Not neccesarily, it's fine. The thing is with the retail Intel cooler, it will be alot quieter than the AX-478 with a 53 CFM 80mm fan which is probably alot louder. What about load temperatures?

Thanks Josebmw. The temps are in bios! I just built the system and haven't installed an OS yet. I was just wanting to check on this first. Thanks again. Kent :)

you are welcome, tell us what happens after you install windows with idle/load temps.

the temps wont lower, after you install windows

but a few things to consider are, what is your ambient room temp?

that affects temps more than anything else imo

45c is a good temp, if you dont plan on o/cing if you do plan on ocing i try to keep 45c the max temp

Back