• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

30 seconds on then shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dowmace

I have an msi mobo and when I turn the system on it will run and begin to enter xp pro then about 30 secs after I have had the system turned on it will shut down does this mean my mobo is going bad?

system specs are:
msi kt4v
msi ti4200
kingston pc2100
amd barton 2500+
maxtor 80gig hd
antec truepower 350w psu

Sounds like a) your cpu doesn't have enough voltage, or b) your PSU is flaking out. Watch the rail voltages, and/or up your vcore.

Try re-seating your heatsink.

I had the same problem on a 2400, the heatsink LOOKED good, but was not seated right or something, cuz by the time it got to windows, it was so hot it would shut off.

I pulled it off, cleaned off the thermal paste, reaplied and reseated the HS and problem gone.

hanks I upped my vcore and set my spread spectrum to .75 and now it stays on

I think spread spectrum will interfere with high OCs. I've read in a few guides to disable it for better chances of attaining higher FSBs.

hehe ;) i had this problem... i couldn't for the life of me figure out why!!

and after a day or so of totally thinking i had either blown the mb or the cpu, i realised i had put the heatsink on the wrong way :eek: .. the only thing leading excess heat from my cpu was a bit of rubber, which had already started to melt.... :p
once i figured this out tho', everything went just fine, my mb even oc'ed my cpu for me without me telling it to :D (it upped the fsb from 166 to 200 :cool: )

so my xp2500+ now registers as a xp3200+
me like :D

Back