• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling vs. noise for Barton 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

earthdick

I'm finally going to get in the game and finally upgrade my T-Bird 1.2 for a Barton 2500. There is always the question of cooling the beast and the debate over noise vs performance. I've read the Heatsink and Watercooling Roundup, and I've searched this forum for cooling vs. quiet options. I'm going to do mild to moderate overclocking.

These are the three choices I've narrowed it down to for the Barton 2500; ThermalRight SLK-800A or ThermalRight SK-7, both modded with a 92mm high-flow Panaflo, or do I just keep my Millenium Glaciator II.

I modded my aluminum case so I have a 120mm fan blowing in on the side and a 120mm fan out the top, two 80mm case fans in the front blowing in and one 80mm fan in the back blowing out.

Options, suggestions, comments? Any and all are welcome and appreciated.

I recommend the SLK-800a. The SK-7 is 15 bucks in case-mod.com, and the SLK-800 is about twice that. The SLK-800 will outperform the SK-7, but how much are you willing to spend. What are the specs of the panaflo?

man my slk800u w/ tt smart fan 2 on thermal is pretty quite.but with a panafolio i wouldnt even be able to hear my system :D awsome temps too

Josebmw said:
I recommend the SLK-800a. The SK-7 is 15 bucks in case-mod.com, and the SLK-800 is about twice that. The SLK-800 will outperform the SK-7, but how much are you willing to spend. What are the specs of the panaflo?

Thanks. If it's only a difference of 15 bucks for much better performance, then I'll go for it. But if the performance difference is very small between the two (one or two degrees C), then I don't see the need to spend the extra bucks, since I'm only going to do moderate overclocking.
The two panaflo's I'm looking at are:

Model:09A12V
Air Flow: 69 CFM

Model:09A12H
Air Flow: 57 CFM

You could try a 900 if you can fit it and use a 92mm fan on it for around 10 bucks more. You will get better cooling and it can be even more quiet with something like a 92 panaflo. But if you don't want to go that high the 800 is your best bet.

p.s You will love the Barton, its a great cpu and o/c's pertty well.

the difference between a SLK-800 and a SLK-900 is minimal though, SLK-800 is your best bet.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting a Barton 2500+ and Abit NS7 (rev 2). I'll house it in a Enermax CS-10181B.

I'm trying to make sure a Thermalright SLK 800 or 900 plus fan fits. 800/900 A/U? I'm not sure what the differences are.

At this point, I don't know what fan to pick, but quiet is important. The 92 mm panaflo sounds nice. I'm all for big fans.

I'm going with a 120 mm fan on the power supply (Fortron).

Mark

Back