• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An idea for making sure your pump is on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Renigade

After reading the guys post who drew the l337 pic of himself with a puddle of water, Id like to share this not quite revelation that I do. Just get yourself one of those bright orange 10 ft power extension cables and leave the end of it in front of your computer, that way you can make sure your pump is plugged in. :cool:

Renigade said:
After reading the guys post who drew the l337 pic of himself with a puddle of water, Id like to share this not quite revelation that I do. Just get yourself one of those bright orange 10 ft power extension cables and leave the end of it in front of your computer, that way you can make sure your pump is plugged in. :cool:
Can anyone say 'relay'?

Personally, I think the best way to minimize the risk is to never turn the computer off :)
My Eheim 1048 has been around about 2 years- nonstop most of that time.
Maxi Jet has only been here a few months and it HAS started to get loud....but it still runs ok.
My 1250 has only been here a short time but I am sure it will prove as durable as the smaller Eheim.

A relay is also a VERY good idea, although I only have one pc so equipped right now- the others will be retrofit ;)

Last edited:
I've got my pump wired to the switch on my power supply. If the power supply is ON so is the pump, doesn't matter if my computer is On or OFF. It's connected with a molex plug so it can be removed when needed. For added safety, the green psu wire going to my motherboard runs through the molex too, so the computer won't start if the pump isn't plugged into the power supply. I went this route because it was cheap (m/f molex plug, bit of solder and heatshrink), eliminated an extra cord from system, didn't take a card slot and met all of my needs. Here's a drawing of it if any are interested:
gs11.jpg

peace.
unloaded

My pc and pump are all on a 4 way extention wire, so when I turn that on or off at the mains, they will both come on at the same time.

The absolute most reliable method of determining if your pump is on or off is to ensure you have good batteries in your smoke detector. :)

Of course, a relay is less costly.

One of the pages said that it is safer for the pump to just leave it on, even when the computer is off. Is this true? I have an Ehiem 1250.

Thanx,
-Noah

Back