• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AirFlow In this Case OK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Hey this is my first ever built system
SO natuarally kinda paranoid with my airflow, temps look awsome with MBM5 however i want to have the best airflow possible how does my case look, i spent alot of tiem on this beast.

BESTPI~1.JPG

CLOSEU~1.JPG

thanks

~zoltan

Looks fantastic! That's the *excellent* Sonata case, right?

Could you remove the two lower HDD trays and mount a fan to the inside of the front? How is that internal wall constructed? I can't tell from the pics. Does it have holes?

You could also secure the IDE cable to the other black bundles to get it away from the northbridge, but that's getting mighty picky. Very nice build!

Nice build...I'm curious as to what your current temps are now. I've had my eye on that case for awhile. The only thing that confuses me is that front setup and how the intake fan is placed where it is.
Does it blow much cool air, as it looks like it would be suckin the heat from the two drives and blowin that across.
I also would like to know if that hard drive bay can be released in any way...
Nice case, and what a name, Sonata....I like it....

PS. That case is built for silence huh? How is it? Pretty quiet? What RPM is your SFII at?

Yodums - ya they are 2 x 120 mm fans

Chipsdeluxe i dont have a camera for a while ill let you know as soona si can get pictures.

diagster - it is the antec sonata, the current temps are 36° at full load. Yes the the front 120 fan DOES blow lots of cool air, the hds are frozen :D and the heat is sucked off them instantly. I have everything on thermal so the noise is down the 2 120s on thermal fan only conectors is insane you cant hear it at all, and the TT fan well i wish it was quieter but its on thermal so its not bad anymore. if you are interested i can post more pics of my case i got them somwhere.
Oh and the tt smart fan 2 rpm is usally around 3375 thats when the temp is 36-37° and if it was @ full rpm man my temps would be low :D
Yes the hd can be removed they just come right out and are like clips. I have a pic of that 2 somewhere

OH and what do you mean about internal wall?

I have more pics let me know if you guys are interested. LMK

I'm assuming those are your CPU temps and not your case temps? If so, that is awesome! I have an SLK3700AMB myself and while it also has 2 x 120mm fans inside, I'm getting pretty poor temps for some reason. :-/ My CPU fan under load is probably right around 55 and my case temps are up around 35. If I leave the side off my case, I can drop my CPU temp around 5-6 degrees though. It's just so ghetto that way.

Drinyth said:
I'm assuming those are your CPU temps and not your case temps? If so, that is awesome! I have an SLK3700AMB myself and while it also has 2 x 120mm fans inside, I'm getting pretty poor temps for some reason. :-/ My CPU fan under load is probably right around 55 and my case temps are up around 35. If I leave the side off my case, I can drop my CPU temp around 5-6 degrees though. It's just so ghetto that way.

Errr, you got two 120mm fans inside and you get such temps? Well i have NO case fans or airflow whatsoever and the mobo temps are 35 stable. CPU temps, ever since i installed the Thermaltake Volcano 11+, are 51C stable when idle and 53C stable in full load. And i have the cooler fan running at 4470rpm currently (if i turn it at full speed, my head will have a headache). My CPU is an AMD Duron 1Ghz.

I think the 120mm fans you have, dont have enough muscle(rpm) so they cant produce adequate results.

ya my case temp is 28 and my cpu temp is 37 right now, just exited out of ut2k3 after playing for about 1 hour.
So i guess they are ok, i may put a 80mm in my side panel and maybe a blowhole, its just that damn 9700aiw creates alota heat in my case :D but my temps are still pretty low and none of my fans are on full blast, LMAO i love this case. They are all on fan only connectors and the cpu fan is on thermal sensor :D

I got some more pics ill post

Another Pic

Only prob with this case is the fact that the shiny black paint finish on it shows finger prints and stuff easily so you gotta clean it lol. This is what it looked like after not cleaning it for 2 weeks.

just need a damp towel and its all new again :D
UNCLEAN%20side%20panel.JPG

Re: Another Pic

Only prob with this case is the fact that the shiny black paint finish on it shows finger prints and stuff easily so you gotta clean it lol. This is what it looked like after not cleaning it for 2 weeks.

just need a damp towel and its all new again :D
UNCLEAN%20side%20panel.JPG

pretty%20computer.JPG

The Daywalker said:

Errr, you got two 120mm fans inside and you get such temps? Well i have NO case fans or airflow whatsoever and the mobo temps are 35 stable. CPU temps, ever since i installed the Thermaltake Volcano 11+, are 51C stable when idle and 53C stable in full load. And i have the cooler fan running at 4470rpm currently (if i turn it at full speed, my head will have a headache). My CPU is an AMD Duron 1Ghz.

I think the 120mm fans you have, dont have enough muscle(rpm) so they cant produce adequate results.

Yep. I do have an ATI 9700 Pro which seems to generate a decent amount of heat. The grills that cover the fans seem to greatly restrict airflow, but I'm not sure I want to cut them just yet. To do so properly, I'd also have to cut the plastic fan holders that are in there right now, and I kind of like how the fans just clip in there right now.

My 2 120mm fans are also running at ~1500 RPMs which create around 55 CFM each, and probably considerably less with the restrictive grills. My CPU fan is also only running at ~3000 because I can't stand the whine it gives off at higher RPMs.

So in short, I know that there are a bunch of things that I could probably do to get my temps down, but I'm not sure I want to get into hardware modification and I certainly don't want an obnoxiously loud case to boot. My machine is stable at 55 degrees which is higher than I'd like it to be, but I can deal with it I guess.

ya im thinking of picking up a card cooler for this think or maybe a blow hole for that damn 9700pro

this beast below needs better cooling, any ideas other than that cutting the grill which i dont seem to understand there is no fan grill on it.

AIW9700pro.JPG

Very nice setup, if I could give you a little advice: Get rid of that loom or whatever you call it and use some braided sleeving and heatshrink instead. At least get some smaller of what you have but that huge stuff is blocking and trapping air. I see alot of people using that stuff and I can't figure out why, is it cheap or what?

Interesting idea for routing your cables thru tubes there. Innovative. I just used a lot of cable ties in mine. lol :cool:

wannaoc said:
Very nice setup, if I could give you a little advice: Get rid of that loom or whatever you call it and use some braided sleeving and heatshrink instead. At least get some smaller of what you have but that huge stuff is blocking and trapping air. I see alot of people using that stuff and I can't figure out why, is it cheap or what?
Interesting idea for routing your cables thru tubes there. Innovative. I just used a lot of cable ties in mine. lol

didnt even know ppl used it, see i just used it cuz it was in the garage and i thought it looked cool and would look sweet in my case.

How exactly does it trap air? (im not flamming just a newb)

The wire loom can be bought just about anywhere for extremely cheap.

I got my 1/2 inch loom for a couple dollars per 10 foot.

Instead of ties, I used electical tape on my wires, I pretty much have the entire loom wrapped up in some tape so it doesn't split apart, as I have lots of cables going though each piece of loom.

Back