• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best place for rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lapino

I'm planning to install my new WC setup this week. Haven't decided where to put my rad though. Got two options :

1. rad at bottom of case with fan blowing air from case through rad towards front of case

|-----|
|F+R| --> air
|-----|

2. rad at top of case with fan sucking air from case through rad

air
^
|

|---FAN---|
| RAD |
| |
| |
-------------

any advice pls?

It is best, if you can and have the room, to have the rad in the bottom front sucking in cool air. Using case air to cool the rad should only be used when necessary when space is a concern.

oh, so I'm better off then with

case : rad : fan : case <- air ?

still not 100% sure if I'm gonna stick it at the bottom though because of 2 reasons : I need the room below for the reservoir & pump AND I might upgrade to a 240x120mm rad anytime soon which would HAVE to be installed at the thop (due to space problems)

My heatercore is at bottom front, drawing air into the case thru a 120mm Panaflo. This is the only air I have coming into the case, and it blows directly on vid card, and northbridge heatsinks. The air comming off the heatercore is only a few degrees warmer than ambient, so it doesn't warm the inside of the case up much at all.

Rear of the case has 1 120mm Panaflo right under PSU blowing out.

Back