• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Choices, choices...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

nerdlogic

Okay, I'm building a computer for some guy, but I am unsure what motherboard to get him. It's not going to be OC'ed so I want to get a cheap one that won't break all of a sudden and has a good warranty. Nothing with onboard video and has to have a BIOS release that supports the Barton 2500+. I'm looking for something $80 and under, and I'm trying to keep all shopping within newegg.

Nice! Thanks for the quick reply! :) I've heard both good and bad things about ASUS, so I guess it really depends. :D

Hmmm...Anything cheaper? I'm trying to keep things low and the board doesn't need that many features. I'm downgrading to an XP 2100+ as well so Barton support isn't necessary.

Here's another ASUS with about the same features http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=13-131-451&depa=1

If you dont like that one I usually also stick with Abit, MSI, or Gigabyte boards but the new Chaintech boards are also pretty nice. Never used this one but I've used similar models. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=13-152-024&depa=1

just by looking over the specs briefly both boards should also work with barton to allow for future upgrade. Not really worth it to save $5-10 on a mobo that does not allow upgrade.

As mentioned in the 1st post the system is not going to be overclocked. The EPOX 8RDA+ is also a nice board but I've seen a lot of probs. with EPOX boards in general.

Have you thought about picking up an older board like an 8k9a , or something along those lines ? They should be cheap , stable , and still handle the barton.

I don't know much about older systems, though. However, I have made a choice. I will get the NF7 asnd keep it for myself while I give him my Gigabyte board that works very well, but is not giving me great overclocking options. I will, of course, take the difference out of the labor cost.

Back