• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why isn't windows letting me set a page file???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
hmm... i have been working on my friend brett's computer and i haven't been able to figure this one out... when windows starts, it gives you that there is no page file message and i know that i have set one... i set it, restart windows and then it still doesn't recognize that there is one... i have tried to manually set it and let windows do it, but it never works... i am guessing that the registry is corrupt somehow... i would like to try to be able to save him from having to reinstall windows, but if i have to, i will... any ideas on what could be wrong?

A lot of times the pagefile will get corrupt. I suggest you manually delete it, then restart. That should fix your issue. Then set the size you desire.

Turd Furguson said:
A lot of times the pagefile will get corrupt. I suggest you manually delete it, then restart. That should fix your issue. Then set the size you desire.

i don't remember seeing a page file on his hard drive... hmm...

oh yeah, i just thought of something... he prolly has all the system files and stuff hidden... i will have to try that when i go over next to try to fix it...

try disabling it all togather and reboot, then try setting it again, your not getting it set right if it dont automatically ask you to reboot. ALLEN

yeah, i tried that one... still didn't work. thanks for the suggestion though allen... i am unable to change it at all... it's quite odd...

i still haven't been able to go to my friend brett's house since i started this thread so i still haven't done anything as of yet...

at this point, i told him that a fresh install would work better :) he is getting a bsod at shutdown anyway and it will just restart his computer when it wants it off :D his brother built the computer and his brother doesn't know as much as he thinks he does...

if it is an intel system you can try updating the .inf files and the intel application accelerator. That has been known to fix the issue on intel based systems.
Get the drivers off intel's web site

engjohn said:
if it is an intel system you can try updating the .inf files and the intel application accelerator. That has been known to fix the issue on intel based systems.
Get the drivers off intel's web site

interesting... never thought of that... and yes, this is an intel based p4 system... i will try that before anything else...

pagefile issue

Hey I had this issue on a box recently. M$ knowledge base articles 242477,25191. There are links for XP also...

UH soybeans......

New pic same great smile! :)

hehe i finally got some pictures of my girlfriend with a little help from some of her friends :D

looks like i will be trying the intel application accelerator and the drivers for his motherboard...

Back