• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with repair installation of XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

I rebooted my system tonight and recieved the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

I tried booting from the XP CD and hitting "R" at the first screen, it asks me what installalation I'd like to logon to (I have 2, but only the "F" works) and it takes me to the F: prompt....the problem is I dont know where to go form there...if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it, and also If anyone knows why this may have happened?

Don't press r on the first screen. Press ENTER. Then F8 to pass the user agreement screens. Then it should give you the option to repair windows installation. Select this and it should automatically repair windows.

ok...so just to confirm I DO NOT hit R when it gives me the option...I hit enter then F8 and when it asks me which partition I select F...but then it gives me a warning about there already being an operating system on that partition and I should consult their web page...should i hit enter to install? it hasnt given me any option to fix the instalation except for the "hit "R" to access repair console"

let me ask you, have you made a recovery point yet? how long have you had winxp pro? the reason I ask is because if you have been using it for a month say , it should have made a recovery point for you automatically. If it's been less than a month then you have to initiate it yourself.

Are you able to boot without the cd? if so,you should then start pressing the F8 key right after your post . that should bring up your black screen with options. One of them would be to restore to last known good configuration..I would use that over trying to repair with the cd.............tr

well, Ive been using XP for over a year now...so I have a restore point. but I get the corrupt file notice even when I try to boot into safe mode. so it looks like a repair from thr cd is my only option.

lazerin said:
Don't press r on the first screen. Press ENTER. Then F8 to pass the user agreement screens. Then it should give you the option to repair windows installation. Select this and it should automatically repair windows.

What he said. Basically you go about as though you were installing windows for the first time. Installing in the same partition. You should still have all your programs and files. At least it worked out like that on my pc.

Cheers,
r2r

can anyone confirm the above post..Im a littel nervous so you'll have to excuse me if I ask for more than 1 opinion

thanks

yes, this is true it will ask if you want to install new and will search for previous windows after you hit enter. At that point it will find the old xp and ask if you want to repair or not. You will also have to redo all the updates aswell after a repair.

Tread

All you have to do in this case is press R on the first screen.

Once in the recovery console type this:

CD windows\system32\config
copy \windows\repair\system

Confirm the overwrite and type exit to reboot.

You will have to reinstall most of your device drivers after this though...A system restore at this point might work. And yes, this will work.

well, Ive tried both ways now and when Im inthe recovery console I get "this command is not recognised"

when I go the re-install windows route it gives me: caution, a windows folder already exists that may contain a windows installation, if you continue the exixting windows instalation will be over written. all files,sub folders,user accounts,applications....will be deleted

what am I doing wrong here?

What I posted should work.

Try this:

cd windows\system32\config
copy c:\windows\repair\system

What does that do?

I don't know then, I just tried it on my system to verify and it worked. Which command is giving you trouble?

cd and copy are basic commands, they should work fine.

Try this instead then: copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

Last edited:
I'm having the same type of problems. So I hope this works. What type of device drivers will it delete if I do the first method listed? Not Movax's.

lazerin said:

Do what lazerin said. I have done this before also, just go through like if you are going to do a clean install and when you get to the point where it asks which partition you want to install to, select the one you want to repair. It should detect that XP is already installed and it will ask you if you would like to repair the installation. Say yes, and basically it will reinstall windows for you, but all your files and programs should still be in tact. You might have to change a few settings, but it should basically work. I have done it before, a few times actually, on various computers. Don't worry it will be fine. Just dont reformat the partition or anything. Just reinstall windows over the existing installation, you will be fine.

Well I hope the original poster's problems are fixed, but mine aren't my a repair installation. Does anyone know what could be wrong with a computer that boots up with an absurdly low resolution and has all it's programs seemingly broken.

Almost everything is black including the menu-bar and start menu. I tried a repair through the above mentioned methods and it helped nothing. My friend pushed the restart button without holding it down and I think that might have damaged something.

Is there anybody who knows what type of error this might be?

Sounds like video card/monitor problems. check all your connections including the vid card power supply if it has one. not much else I can think of I doubt your buddy messed you up with the restart button , although holding it in for a few seconds next time might work better for you. Check your air flow to your monitor mine went out last week because of the room heat and the fact that I had some papers stacked on top covering the vent holes.:eek: gotta remember ventalation is your freind...................

chittnp, sometimes an unseccessfull overclock can cause the error you are experiencing. If so, go and change your bios back to default settings to see if windows will boot. Good luck.

ok, whe I enter this command:
copy F:\windows\repair\system it tells me 1 file copied, when I try cd F:\windows\system32\config it says command not recognised......should all this be 1 command?

when I try it all as one command it says that system cannot find the file or directory specified

again when i try the re-install windows route, it says that all my info will be deleted...it never gives me teh option to repair the installation other than through the repair console

Last edited:
Back