• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the volcano 7 good enough for barton 3000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cswaim

Registered
I am just wondering if my thermaltake volcano 7 will cool my barton 3000 without me worrying. I looked at thermaltake's website and they said it is certified up to a 2800.

I wouldnt use the volcano 7 on anything past like a 2100+....if you use it id underclock and try to undervolt your processor until you get a different heatsink.

im sure it would work but id guess the idle temp would be like 45-50c and the load would be about 10c higher

NOOOO. bascially lol.

thermaltakes heatsinks are cheap for a very good reason - they really arnt that good. Knowing what i know now, i wouldnt use anything less than a thermalright sk-7.

Oh and, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

What is the hottest I shouldhave the processor running at temp wise?

generally under 55c at full load is fine. But really, motherboard sensors are so inaccurate that most people dont bother with tempreatures anymore.

good rule of thumb: stay under 55c.

Well barton cores die at 85C or higher as it says in the AMD data sheets and i am pretty sure dmage starts at around 67C so try and keep you temps under 60C at all times. I personnaly shut off my computer when temperature reach 55C just as a pre-caution.

so I should probably clear the cmos and gradually take the fsb up to see if it will run ok with my volcano 7. And if I don't like the temps run it and the voltage under until I get another one?

Thanks. I have never had this sort of a problem before when I have built a computer because I have never really jumped this high from my current chip to my new chip before. I just want to make sure I don't melt the chip.

I did some thinking and decided that the volcano 7 will work fine for the 3000. If you take a look the 2800 it is certified for to cool actually runs a faster clock speed than the 3000. We all know that the 3000 was slowed down from what the 2800 is. This in sense makes the 3000 a cooler chip. My volcano 7 is cooling it at about 47 degrees Celcius right now. And I am going to try and find something cooler because I would like to OC a little bit. I am also going to put 2 80mm fans in the roof of my case to get rid of hot air. My case is poorly cooled just so you know. I think that could be some of the problem with heat and the processor. Because my 1600 I had before ran around the same temp I have now. Thanks for all the help guys.

well, whatever they say, it isnt true. trust me - i have a volcano 7. it run in the low 50c's on an xp1800+, so there is no way on earth it will sufficiantly cool an xp2800+

yeah look at thermaltakes little chart.....when the fan is at 5000 rpm the c/w is .52....that is horrid. Go ahead and use it but....i wouldnt.....

v7temp.gif

I guess that most people dont realise the barton cores have a slower clock speed, as well as a lower voltage than their tbred brothers. ratings are just a safe suggestion possibly to make up for dust collection and so forth. but as long as you have good case airflow and a decent cpu temp, around 55C max as other have suggested, somethin better would be nice, but not completely needed

Buhammot said:
I guess that most people dont realise the barton cores have a slower clock speed, as well as a lower voltage than their tbred brothers.
no they dont.

1) they run slower
2) the voltage is the same. i.e:1.65volts
3) they might be slower, but they run hotter.

Back