• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx5900 ultra ram cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiltz

i'm gona be water cooling my FX5900 ultra card soon, I was wondering what people would think would be better for cooling the ram

the stock reference heatsinks on the card:
pro: large suface area
cons: aluminum not copper and crappy TIM pad required, won't make contact without them from what I read (mod posible to make it work with AS3?) water block may not clear, not sure till I get the block in hand.

TweakMonster RAMsinks:
pro: better interface using artic silver epoxy
cons: signifcantly smaller surface area, the chrome plating over copper with reduce performance?

while the stock heatsinks have quite a few cons the really small surace area of the tweakmonster ones makes me worry about how well they would work.

I have one stock AMD heatsink I think, but that wouldn't be enough for all the ram chips I think, 16 total on the card.

i heard the tweakmonster ramsinks are one of the best performing passive coolers for graphics cards.
i think thouse ramsinks with a nice fan blowing near the card would give nice results

Back