• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update Bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Ok i really know nothing about motherboard.
Since i cant exceed 200fsb i dunno why, ppl have recommended flashing my bios. What does this mean and how do i do it, and is there anyway to go back once the new bios is on.. if that makes sence?

can i have some links to the new bios version for my board. thanks

~Zoltan

It means updating/re-programming your motherboard's Basic Input/Output System. To flash it, just follow the instructions provided here: http://www.asus.com/support/english/techref/bios/index.aspx

You can download your latest BIOS at the following link.

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X Deluxe

And yes, if you need to revert to your current BIOS, you can re-flash to it just by backing it up prior to flashing it. Additionally, do not reset or turn off your computer while flashing as it will KILL your BIOS chip.

~THT

Top Hat Theater said:
It means updating/re-programming your motherboard's Basic Input/Output System. To flash it, just follow the instructions provided here: http://www.asus.com/support/english/techref/bios/index.aspx

You can download your latest BIOS at the following link.

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X Deluxe

And yes, if you need to revert to your current BIOS, you can re-flash to it just by backing it up prior to flashing it. Additionally, do not reset or turn off your computer while flashing as it will KILL your BIOS chip.

~THT

So is there any other risks?

if it's deluxe 2.0, the latest bios is 1005, you should have it, to check go to:

start
programs
accessories
system tools
system information

should look like this:

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005, 5/14/2003

Yes, there're risk. To name a few, the new BIOS may not play nicely with your existing settings, forcing you to back down your overclock. Or, your machine may lose power during the flash, thus killing your BIOS chip. I usually only flash if I'm having problems with an existing BIOS or there's a really good reason to (like 95% of people getting 20MHz more FSB)

~THT

ya i checked system info and looks like im 1003 is my version.
BUt now im afraid to flash my bios because of what top hat theater is saying.

actually you can minimize the risk by a great deal if you flash it in windows..

Asus has a program called ASUSUPDATE which allows you to flash the BIOS in windows.. i done it a few times found it to be quite simple and the best part is...... FLOPPY FREE! w00t =d

cherryp00t said:
you dont.. you just put one there for show ;d your computer looks emtpy wihtout a anything in the 3.5 slot ;x

NO I HATE FLOPPYS they suck and they are hidden in my case anyways..i have a door. plus that just damn pointless now days..ill just boot from cd i hate floppys

What I hate is trying to locate just one floppy that can successfully be formatted. Stupid thing has been used only like 40 times and it can't format a damned thing. I just quick format and hope whatever I am putting on the disk finishes before it encounters a problem. It always encounters a problem. I use my scsi card and a scsi compactflash reader as my boot device when I need a reliable dos session. I refuse to buy any more floppies but it seems I don't any cause Ive thrown them out. Partition magic or disk image from powerquest used to rewrite the boot loader of the hard drive so that you could boot from a floppy image on your hard drive. I was using diskimage 5 when I found it but they stopped using it with the next version.

cherryp00t said:
its fine unless you're feeling lucky during that thunderstorm ;d

lol.

Ok so if you flash during a thunderstorm and your POWER goes out...and comp shuts off..what happens the bios loses all info..there is no way to get it back?

~Zoltan

Back