• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on case cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spongebob3000

I was just wanted to know what a ok case temp. would be because mine is running at 107 F to 115 F. and after i do an hour or two of gaming it will slow down and some times crash...is my case too hot or could it be the video card?

CPU AMD 2100xp not overclocked
Video Sapphire ATI Radeon 9200 128MB DDR
RAM 512 DDR 266
1 intake-fan
1 Exaust-Fan
CPU fan 6000rpm with heat sink

Welcome to the forums!!!

It might be a combination of both. Try running with your side panel off and see if you still crash. If you don't, chances are, you need better air flow thru your case.

-Bobby

What is the ambient temp ~ outside the case? If the room is hot then the inside of the case will be much hotter.

Invest in an a/c unit for your room ;)

Seriously, when I leave my a/c off, it can get to 87°F next to my computer and my cpu is running at 44°C. When my a/c is going, my room stays around 74°F and my cpu is 37°C.

-Bobby

...What is a good Temp. for an AMD 2100XP CPU right now mine is at 137-145 F depends on how long I game for

Mine runs at 34c atm under full load. My AC keeps the room between 66 - 72f. So my ambient int he case is like 19c. Adding a side fan like suggested would help, but I think a top blowhole fan would be more beneficial. Get that hot air out of the case.

You can get bay coolers which are placed in 5.25 bays which blow hot air out of the case. I have one at the top of my case so it acts like a blowhole. That might help.

I have a feeling you need to get more air IN and OUT of your case.

You might want to convert those temps into °C as that's what everyone uses. I'm terrible at converting temps :(

Looking at my temp history, 44°C is 111°F so I would say that 127-145°F is pretty damn hot but the AMD tech specs for that processor is 90°C. I wouldn't recommend running it that hot though. Try taking your side panel off and running it like that to see if your case needs better air flow before throwing money at the problem.

-Bobby

I took off the side running a lot cooler now Case at 34.4 C CPU at
51.7 C......my pc did not slow down on games or crash so i need to add some fans to my case

Does any one think RAM heatsinks for DDR PC2100 ram would help any to keep my RAM a bit cooler

Spongebob3000 said:
I took off the side running a lot cooler now Case at 34.4 C CPU at
51.7 C......my pc did not slow down on games or crash so i need to add some fans to my case

Does any one think RAM heatsinks for DDR PC2100 ram would help any to keep my RAM a bit cooler

I'm not personally sure that cooling down the ram benefits anything very much- i bought a stick of 512mb samsung ram with the cooling sleeve on it, and it doesn't really make that much of a difference with me. of course, i have alot of airflow through my case and nothing is oc'd, so who knows... :)
~Bobb

Well I may want to get some Ram copper heatsinks Because i want to over clock my ram and CPU a bit

Do u guy think a 120mm 3100RPM fan on side of the case and DDR copper heatsinks , and a hard drive cooler will be suffent to keep my case cool

Allready have 2x 80mm fans 1 on the front and 1 in the rear of the case and a 6000rpm fan with heat sink on my CPU

A ha!!! You need some airflow in your case. 92mm or 120mm on the side would help a ton. You might want to make a 80mm or 92mm on top for an exhaust while you're at it.

The ramsinks are totally worthless for cooling on DDR266 memory. Use that money to get a better heatsink for your cpu and some Nanotherm PCM+ or Ceramique thermal paste.

-Bobby

keep in mind that putting more air in and not allowing more to leave may not help.. You need to get flow through, So whatever you add goin in make sure you add some more going out..

Before you get into watercooling, try some fans first. Watercooling is a serious venture.

CGR said:
Before you get into watercooling, try some fans first. Watercooling is a serious venture.

I wouldn't say its a serious venture- on a non-oc'd system, you can buy a kit for about $100 that will cool the cpu down right nice' I have the iceburg hooked up and it does pretty well, and it looks good too. it also prevents me from having to mod my pretty blue server other than running some hoses out the back of a pci slot.
~Bobb

Replace your current 80mm case fans (stock, I assume) with a pair of high quality, high MTBF, reasonably quiet (nothing above 35 - 40 dBA) 39+ cfm 80mm case fans. That will provide you with some decent compression, exhaust and internal air flow in your case - assuming you only have room for two 80 mm fans (1 front, 1 back) and you don't want to mod the case. Of course, you also have at least 1 built-in (exhaust) fan in your power supply (hopefully) that will aid to the air flow in your case. Any additional fans are good depending on how and where they are employed.

Stick with air cooling for a while. Check out the Forum and see which HSFs are the best performing and most appropriate heatsinks for your particular set up. A good air cooling set up is more than sufficient to take care of your OC'ing requirements for the time being.

No matter what type of cooling method you use, make sure you pick a good thermal compound to maximize the efficiency of your cooling system. Make sure to apply it in a very thin and even layer to both contacting surfaces and you'll be a happy camper ;)

Well I solved my problem I got a new case with 4 high quality 80mm fans 2 front, 2 back and a new 400watt power supply with 2 fans on it case running at 29c and CPU at 51c

Back