• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

werdman

Registered
when i turn on my computer with no cpu, the power works fine and everything, but when iu put my cpu in with the heatsink/fan on it, the power runs for 2 seconds, then turns off automatically... can anyone help me? Also, will anything happen if i just turn my computer on without the cpu in? When i start my comp up with the cpu in, there are no beeps

Last edited:
werdman said:
when i turn on my computer with no cpu, the power works fine and everything, but when iu put my cpu in with the heatsink/fan on it, the power runs for 2 seconds, then turns off automatically... can anyone help me? Also, will anything happen if i just turn my computer on without the cpu in? When i start my comp up with the cpu in, there are no beeps

No, I don't think it will hurt anything to try to power up without the cpu, but why bother trying? It won't tell you anything! Nothing will work without the cpu. It's like trying to start your car without the engine in it. Yea, the battery is hooked up and the lights work...but that's about it.

Does the fan on the CPU heatsink have 3 wires? If not that may be the problem as the bios will try to detect the RPM of the fan on startup and if it detects that the fan is connected(that is the black and yellow wires are connected) then if the RPM wire does not send a signal, it thinks the cpu fan died and shuts down. It's a safety thing. You could also plug the CPU fan into one of the power connectors or another fan header.

Also, it is the nature of switching atx power supplies that with some boards when the power supply is first turned on the cpu fan will momentarily spin and then shut down. Then you just push the start button and it comes on. However, I do not recall that the K7S5A board does that.

i just turn on the power cuz i like to watch the LEDS on my fans light up =). My cpu fan has three wires, red, black, and yellow.
Could the porblem be that my cpu is dead?

That is a possibility. Can you try it in another "known good" board, or can you try another cpu in this board?
Also, be sure to use a thermal paste to seat the heatsink, and check that it is properly sitting on the cpu die befor turning on the system.
What heatsink/fan for the cpu are you using?
And what mainboard??

First and foremost, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

Second, Why don't you tell us what your system consists of. List:

Processor
MotherBoard
Videocard
Type and how much RAM
Hard Drives
CDROMs
OS
and, if possible, Power Supply type and rating

We can be of alot more help with this information.

The fan/heatsink i am using is a vantec aeroflow TMD fan. I have a xp2100+ but i think its dead so i ordered a new xp2400+

My system consists of
Motherboard: K75SA PRO
Video Card: Radeon 8500 128mb
RAM: 256 mb DDR Corsair
Harddrive: 30 gb Maxtor
all i know about my powersupply is that it is 500w and it is made by POWMAX...=\

Back