• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Relay Article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good job, going to be a great answer to those "do I need a relay" ?'s :)
I have the same relay, haven't installed it. My best reason I have for now that my lazy arse hasn't is, with it I have 2 places the pump could become unplugged, verse just 1 plugging my pump in. ;)

I read somthing that said using a relay can be bad for a pump because they are designed to allways be run, and by turning it on and off you can dammage it. Is this at all true? I think a relay would be cool, but if it is beter for my pump, i would just run it 24/7. I am getting an Ehiem 1250, if it matters which pump is used.

Thanx,
-Noah

My old Rio pump was really loud after running it a lot. So I don't know, I guess it depends on the pump. And perhaps whether you run it inline or submersible?

nosilverman said:
I read somthing that said using a relay can be bad for a pump because they are designed to allways be run, and by turning it on and off you can dammage it. Is this at all true? I think a relay would be cool, but if it is beter for my pump, i would just run it 24/7. I am getting an Ehiem 1250, if it matters which pump is used.

Thanx,
-Noah
Most things are better left running, Computers, cars, stereo's etc. My computer is only off for maintenance and tinkering so it essentially runs 24/7. If you leave your pump running with the machine off, the water will heat up a lot. Some pumps have a 'heat' rating which may be low, like 45 - 50C. That is the only real drawback I can see with leaving the pump running without the machine to cool the water down.

Back