• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Tornado with Nexus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I have a 92 mm vantec tornado and i am trying to connect it to a vantec Nexux-101. Whenever i turn on the computer the Nexus can never detect the RPM for the fan so i cannot raise it or lower it. It also produces a very high pitched endless beeping. I am sure i connected all the wires correctly. What is the problem?

I used the bundeled 3 pin connectors. I connected the 1 labeled "to CPU Fan" to the 3-pin that is with tornado (it only has 1 wire on it, yellow. Tornado gets its power from a separate molex) and connected other end of that wire to the pins on Nexus labeled CPU fan. Than i used the other 3-pin wire to connect 1 end to the 3-pin connector on motherboard labeled CPU and than other end was connected to the pins on Nexus labeled M.B.

so how is the tornado getting power? the yellow is only for RPM monitoring i believe... so you can't control the rpms using that.... the rpm is controlled by adjusting the voltages to the molex....

Oh, well i have the tornado getting power from my 520 watt PSU which also powers my PSU. So their is no way to change speeds on tornado so i cannot use nexus because it will always give me stupid beeping. Any way i can modify it so i can use it?

i think to need a 3 to 4 pin adaptor. That way the nexus can control the voltages the fan is getting. That way you can control the rpms. That is not what the yellow wire is for. I would disconnect it for now.

you need to connect the red and black wires via the 4 pin molex connector to a 4 to 3 pin adapter, then connect that to your nexus panel. The reson you are getting the beeping is because your motherboard is set up for cpu fan failure. to fix that connect the yellow wire from you tornado fan to the cpu header on your motherboard. Then connect you nexus panel to the PSU.

I have the same fan and the nexus controller on my slk-800u.

if i get a 4-3 pin adapter wouldnt the nexus automaticly undervolt the tornado so i cna never have it at full speed even though i will need to at times since it is coolinga pelt. What will i do if the nexus automaticly undervotls it. Anyway to overclock it to make it run at full speed?

the nexus will allow you to control the voltage you are sending to your fan, you can turn it all the way up to have your fan run at full speed.

I was looking at specs of nexus and it says it can handle an 8 watt fan but tornado is 14 watts so what i was saying is will it automaticly put fan down to 8 watts causing it to run slower from the start. Is that what would happen?

Okay here's the deal. You can mod your tornado wires onto 1 3-pin. First you have to disconnect that pass-through on your 4-pin. Take the Molex connectors out of the plastic housing (only take the ones that are connected to the fan). Cut off the wires that are connected to the pass-through (yellow and another color). Now you have your fan's 2 power wires still connected, but with molex ends. I used a pincher to do all my cutting, BTW. Now cut the ends of the molex connectors (only the ends...maybe go about a quarter of the way down). They are hollow so you should be able to manipulate them to fit into the 3-pin holes (squish them a bit) and get contact with pins. I have to go, but will post more later.

first off what tornado is this the 80 or 92? either way neither of them are 14 watts i promise you. Now where did you see that it was only rated for 8 watts?

I have the 92mm version and i read it on another forum with somebody who has a similar problem but with a diffrent fan that only uses 3-pin connections. Well my nexus is messed up anyway, its second hand. What is i just get 1 of those single rheobuses. How would that work with the tornado?

Constantinos said:
What if i just use a 4-3 pin connector. Wouldnt that work the same way? Also what about my undervolted question i asked earlier.

yes use the connector, it would be much easier

EDIT: I don't know of other single fan controllers, but a sunbeam from svc can control 4 and can definietly handle a tornado.

oh, looks good to me.... of course you can make your own.... do you have the parts and everything? If you want to make your own post is the alternative moddin section. They can help you out alot more than the cooling section;)

Ok, thanks guy. I am gonna get a diffrent Temp monitor than since my Nexus is a piece of crap anyway. I got it for free cause somebody tryed to paint it and failed miserable so now it is black with green lines and specs on it. Gonna trash it, get a compunurse 2.0, mount it in 3.5 bay if i can, make rheostat and mount that on 3.5 bay too. Thanks guys.

nice, good luck
i g2g so if you have more question ill get the tomorrow, or you could pm me if you want.

Back