• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Close Circuit System vs Reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cytomax

Hello all basically as u can all tell im trying to set up my first w/c system basically what i have figured out so far is the more modding the more fun so i have basically 2 core pieces of the system i want to set up already decided on.

CPU Block : Little River Cascade
Radiator : Black Ice Extreme II
And i want to stick to 1/2" Inner Diameter Tubing because that is what the BIEII and CPU Block support (please correct me if im wrong) so it would just be best to stick with that i think.

Now my main concern right now is do i go Close Circuit System like the way Swiftech did in thier 8500 and 22500 Kit or do i use a reservoir. The following is a picture of the Close Circuit System by Swiftech

Swiftech%20Close%20Ciruit%20System.jpg

The reason i like the Close Circuit System (PLEASE correct me if im wrong) is the simple fact that
1) It should theoretically retain 100% of the water since there is no air in it and nothing gets in or out of it
2) You would also save space by not having a reservoir
3) It is extremely simple to empty your system of water
4) It is extremely simple to bleed your system of air
5) I can only imagine that a reservoir affects the flow of the water negatively and reduces its speed or flow rate

The plus side of having a reservoir is (PLEASE correct me if im wrong) would be
1) It would give the water a longer time to cool off and it would take more heat to heat up the water since there is more of it
2) I only think that it might give you better temps but im asking if this is true

I think that since im getting such a freakin big radiator that to be honest i wont have as much water as i would using a reservoir but i will have enough water. I would however like to hear all of your opinions please. However my main question is will having a reservoir lets say a 5 1/4" reservoir make any significant cooling differences than having a close circuit and by significant i mean will it cool something by about 3C or more than not having a reservoir.

Eddie

And i want to stick to 1/2" Inner Diameter Tubing because that is what the BIEII and CPU Block support (please correct me if im wrong) so it would just be best to stick with that i think.
yes its best to use 1/2 inch BUT dont stick with it cause any block or rad uses it stick with it cause it improves flow

1) It should theoretically retain 100% of the water since there is no air in it and nothing gets in or out of it
2) You would also save space by not having a reservoir
3) It is extremely simple to empty your system of water
4) It is extremely simple to bleed your system of air
5) I can only imagine that a reservoir affects the flow of the water negatively and reduces its speed or flow rate
1 there is never 100% but there is very very slow loss so you pretty much right on that
#4 is a little misconception many people have. resiviors can bleed your system just as easy but if yuo look at al those fittings elbos and stuff for that system in the pic you will learn that all of those parts seriously hamper flow (BAD)
reseviors dont slow down water as much as you think BUT they do improve performance of pumps if put right before the pump intake ( especialyif you get 5/8ths or 3/4 fittings for just that section)
so the only real concern for a resevior is that it takes up space.

on your list of pluses to reseviors you have that it has more time to cool the water but that isnt really true for most because of small res size .

personaly i would choose a res that is vertical because using gravity to help feed pump and bleed air and refill the system is nice plus it looks kool .

also more liquid in the system means more energy storage which translates into takes longer to heat the water

Back