• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open Case question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emberghost

I leave my side panel on my comp off cause it lowers temps probbably 4+ degrees because of pore case cooling. But my question is, is there anyway my components can get damaged by leaving my case open 24/7?

While mine certailnly gets awful hairy from the dust and requires frequent cleaning, it has suffered no ill effects from running with the case side removed...About the only thing I worry over is the prospect of having foreign objects or liquids getting in there by mistake or misfortune...
Other than those concerns, unless you have animals who like to crawl in or stick their noses and paws where they aren't welcome, you should be OK running opened up...In the summer heat hereabouts, this thing would fry with the case all buttoned up...

Besides, there is nothing like the satisfying sound of an especially pesky fly passing too close and getting sucked thru the 120mm hanging from the case frame...Gotcha!! :D

DAGO said:
Besides, there is nothing like the satisfying sound of an especially pesky fly passing too close and getting sucked thru the 120mm hanging from the case frame...Gotcha!! :D

Haha, well I would find that funny lol.

How often do you think I should clean off dust and other particles in my comp? And what is the safest way, the thing that jumps to my mind is compressed air?

I have positive pressure and fan filters so dust isn't really a big problem in my case so far (2 months, 24/7 folding:)). I did look at the filters and had to clean them but it wasn't too dusty. I'd say I'll have to clean them every 3-4 months.

-Bobby

Emberghost said:
I leave my side panel on my comp off cause it lowers temps probbably 4+ degrees because of pore case cooling. But my question is, is there anyway my components can get damaged by leaving my case open 24/7?

Yes its not the best idea, do you have little kids running around? to you rhave furry little pets running around?
if so put the cover back on.
also with the case side off you can take out your case fans, they arnt doing anything now with the cover off.
however witht he cover off you are allowing a slight more amount of EMI come from yoru case and also enter your case.
the metal cases do more then just house your equipment they also protect your computer from interferance and also protect you and other stuff in your house from the computer.
anyway, I preffer to run with all the panels on beause I have cats.
there was one time a friend had his cover off and his cat got too close to a fan and whack. cats fur can infiltrate a fans finger guard. anyway. its realy a personal diccision unless you have pets or kids.
-L_P

DAGO said:

What about the fly guts you you'll end up cleaning afterward....

If your air flow in you case is just right then the temps should jump if you take the case off. When I was in high school My PC shop got old donated servers and such, all well desinged Quad Xeon setups would have air channels for each processor and If you were to take the side pannel off it would shut off right away. These computers were carefully made so that the air flow would was perfict and the same goes with some OEM's. If you ever get to look inside the New DELL gameing machine you would see masive ducts and fans placed in the right place, because they have to cool a High end P4 and a 9700 or 9800 which is no light weight in it's self, and this all has to be done with the least amount of noise as possable.

If you do the work and carefully place fans in the right place then you will see a much better improvement. ;)

I had a case I left open for more than a year. It's easier to clean. I had no problems at all. Just more air. In some cases you will get less air flow when you open up the case. :)

Sapcemonkey: Maybe but the temps drop alot so I guess its better airflow. I dont really understand why the airflow sucks so bad, I have 1 exaust and one intake, both are on, they just dont do good :[

I've found it's ok to have the side off. My brother runs his with the side off and a 12" room fan pointed in and has been doing so for a few months with only alot of dust. It's off in a hard corner to get to so the dog isn't a problem. I would guess though that if he had a less "not very good" case having the side on would be better. I've tried running mine with the case off when I'm messing with stuff but I can't stand it for very long because the noise doubles and adds in high pitched whines that are normally muffled. But if you can stand the noise I should be ok.

Back