• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to install NB waterblock on MSI NEO2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lapino

I'm just installing my new watercooled rig but found that the chipset is NOT installed using 2 holes, but rather with some kind of clip. how do I install my maze4 chipset waterblock on this mobo?

well.... get yeer'self a ball pein hammer and WHACK THAT MOHICAN!!!

Seriously, a lot of the fun of watercooling is taking something that's never been done before and doing it yourself. Good luck, and ask for specific help. We'll help you wherever we can, but you should be specific, and if at all possible post pics of your mobo, waterblock, etc.

lapino said:
I'm just installing my new watercooled rig but found that the chipset is NOT installed using 2 holes, but rather with some kind of clip. how do I install my maze4 chipset waterblock on this mobo?

I ran into a similar problem with installing a Dtek nb block on my Abit IC7. Abit uses a circular hsf on the northbridge held down by a four-point clip to four rather insubstantial "staple-like" mounts soldered to the motherboard. Some motherboards (like my BH7) might only have two of the mounting points, maybe the MSI is one of these....

I was under the impression that the Dtek block, being circular, could be held down with the OEM retaining clip that holds the stock hsf with some bending/modding of the clip to accomodate the thicker base of the block.... After devoting over an hour to patiently attempting this, I noticed the amount of stress being placed upon the mounts, and went to plan "B".

I pulled the motherboard, desoldered the mount-points from the backside of the motherboard. Then, I pushed the mounts a little further through the board (about 1/16th inch) and really slapped on the solder to prevent them from pulling through the motherboard ( I'd had this happen on a BH7, which has the same mounting system).

I then applied some thermal paste, and mounted the block to the stock mounts by using small zip ties, instead of using AS thermal epoxy applied to the nb chip itself to hold the block (my original plan). The reasons I went this way instead of the epoxy was to expidite removal of the wb in case it were ever to be necessary.

You might be able to try a similar method to attach your block to the nb using the factory mounts and some creative engineering. If you do attempt this method, though, I'd strongly suggest reinforcing the mounts before doing so.

Alternatively, thermal epoxy should do the job as well.

Hope some if this helps, and good luck! :)

Last edited:
yep. found this solution before you posted this. not a nice solution, but it seems to work. now I gotta get those cpu temps down (40°C seems high)

I applied it this way

dangerden3.jpg

From my sites NB article;-

"The heatsink spring clip was attached to two soldered "U"s on the board and I made some small spring fingers that could be bolted to the holes in my Northbridge block.
This seems to work well enough and holds the block firmly in position. Detail can be seen in the larger linked pics below"

www.zerofanzone.co.ukhttp://www.zerofanzone.co.ukhttp://www.zerofanzone.co.uk

Back