• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my cpu just heated up ;T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eightywpm

Registered
on boot i would run 37 C and 40 C
now i'm running 48 C on load 8 degree jump...
i'm not sure but could this be the problem...the last thing i ever did before this temp jump was uninstall a display driver and restarted comp on accident w/o installing new display driver .. on boot windows loaded to the desktop and after all programs loaded in systray...b.s.o.d :mad: ...anyway i recovered my hd and i did get my system back and operational however...i discovered the temp increase and was very upset :mad:
can anyone help me? are these two actions related at all?

The CPU could be working a little harder since it is using the GPU as a default video card. It could be doing some of the work that the card would, but I doubt it..

Is it possible that your temps have been this high for awhile and you didn't pay attention to them till the BSOD? In that case, I would say, yes, it was coincidence. But if you are on top of your temps and can rattle them off in your sleep, then I would go with what I said first. CPU compensating for the video card.

How are temps after you reinstalled the drivers?

i would probably take care in reinstalling your heatsink. A slk-800 and a tornado should keep your temps quite low. Id say it would only hit the low 40s on a very hot day. you're already close to 50.

Take some time to remove the heatsink and properly clean both the heatsink and CPU. Use a very thin layer of AS3 or Ceramique between the heatsink and die. Make sure you have the core perfectly in the middle of the slk-800. I have mounted this heatsink several times as well as the SK-7 and i noticed that even being slightly off the center can increase yoru temps a good few degrees.

cherry you were correct.. i reapplied as3 and i'm running 32 on boot and around 38 to 41 on load..thanks a mill...but it's just odd (because yes i do keep an eye on my temp everytime) that it spiked after the uninstallation of vid drivers.

Back