• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i insane??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ash

as a newb to the overclocking community, i thought i'd post the setup i currently have and see if ya'll had any feedback for me....

so here goes...

i'm running an athlon xp 2200+ on an MSI KM266-8235 mobo, currently clocked to 2.1ghz...

my case is a standard issue compag micro tower, small as hell, and zero airflow..

last night i built a 3inch pvc pipe into a ducting line for the HSF on my proccy (using the factory hsf setup that came with the proccy) and ported the front lower panel of my case to allow for general airflow...

before mods, system temps at full load running FAH and P95 concurrently was 35-37 degs system and 78-79 cpu as measured by pcalert4

after mods, temps dropped to 22-25 degs system and 64-65 cpu while running the same tortures...

currently the only fannage i have installed is the stock PSU fan and the factory issue HSF that came with my proccy..

am thinking about a couple of mods that i may implement, namely a set of 32 cfm blowers mounted to the rear of the case, positioned as intake and exhaust on my geforce graphics card... i know that card can;t be helping any with my temps....

system runs stable at the current settings with no errors or any hiccups in FAH and P95 while running both concurrently....

is my athlon just a hot running chip? or is my system an insanely strange freak of nature?

I think using a case with zero airflow and a stinky heatsink is your flaw here (So yes, you are insane! :p). 79C is a very dangerous temperature, so I may back off on the OC a little before you get a better HS.

WOW! That's hot! Get a real heatsink and fan for that kind of overclock and also make sure you have good case flow.

"get a real heatsink"

LOL

Couldn't be more true. If you want your processor to last more than a few months back off the OC and get a nice copper Thermalright SK7 - cheap and big. Palominos run hot but not even mine runs THAT hot :eek:

the max core temp on most CPUs is 80C
if you pass that mark your gonna end up frying the cpu and causing the core to crack or combust.
60C is even still too high,
you want to stay at 50C or less if you want your system to be reliable.
Here are the first things to do, get a diffrent case.
you can pick up most generic mid tower cases for $30USD
pretty cheap that alone will make your temps drop.
also if you dont have a large budget get a Case and a better HSF
and a couple 80mm case fans.
then you should be down under 50C load temps.
My load temps are 35C and I have a 2100+ Overclocked to 2.2Ghz. right now. and I am using a low cost HSF
I have a Volcano 9 Running with the auto sensor on the Smart fan. only costed me $16 USD with shipping.
anyway, please go do this before you ruin your CPU and system.
better to do it right then to break it and have to pay a lot more money.
-L_P

yes I say invest in a good case before anything else. Also back your cpu down to stock speeds it's gonna die at much faster at those high temps. I'd look into one of the chieftec cases (antec knock offs) with 2 80mm exhausts in the back and one 80mm side intake...it also has 2 or 3 front intakes. those cases can be had very a very good deal at newegg and elsewhere. After that then you can go and start buying heatsinks and other stuff.

if i had those temps i'd unplug the comp regardless of what i was doing and pray to god i didn't break anything....thats like not using a fan at all....

forget trying to mod that case to get better airflow...you wo'nt get good results....or at least ones that will bring it from 79C to 40-50C.....

get a new case....even newegg has some refurbs that are cheap....and will be better than that pos.....there was even a chieftech aluminum black with window and 80mm fans with it for 79.99....so if thats in ur price range....its a good choice

im running a stock hsf on a mid tower but i have really good airflow....my temps are 42load and thats on a pally 1800 @stock....so you don't necessarily have to blow all ur money on a super hsf...

tnx for the info and advice ya'll....

backed my system down to stock speed and took off the side of the case, jes to b safe....

will look into a bigger case, but the only question i have on that note is.... will my micro atx mobo lline up okay in a larger case? would hate to have to end up buyin a new mobo after just having bought this one.....

Yes, your MicroATX motherboard will fit in any case rated for the ATX form factor. Your PCI and AGP slot(s) will line up fine.

May I reccomend a nice case for your set up... I'd pick up one of these cases due to its relative low price for what you get. Out of the box, you can install 3 fans for better airflow. You'll also get an average 350w Powersupply (and of course if you have a better one just swap it out). I chose this due to its price, assuming that you have a lower budget. In any situation, make sure your prospective case has at the least 3 spots for fans (unless you'd like to take a hole saw to it). I prefer 5, but thats me..

I would also reccomend, as stated by many in this thread, picking up a better heatsink. I'll give you a couple options, depending on how tight your pocketbook is.

The CoolerMaster Xdream is a very solid heatsink and fan combination for most overclocks. You can pick one up for 9 bones again at SVC.com (Link to Product) I really like the CoolerMaster because it comes with a Fan Speed Adjuster out of the box... Less effort, more coolage (this does get fairly loud at higher RPM, of course)
You'll also be able to pick up a better performing ThermalRight SK-6 for 9 bucks, sans fan.

If you can afford to spend the money, I would also highly reccomend a heatsink out of ThermalRight's superb SLK series (Namely the 800 or 900). You can find these all over (as with the coolermaster and SK-6). Here's a link, yet again, to SVC.com

Good Luck, and I hope that helps!!

Back