• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The remote procedure call failed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Insthink

I get this for many installations of softwares and drivers. for windows XP

My sound blaster driver installation fails
yet my nvidia drivers installation passes it
I tried to install Java runtime software, same error.

When it gets to the progress bar, it just doesnt move, stays at 0% so I gotta ctrl-alt-del the software, then the error appears saying

An error occured while launching the setup

The remote procedure call failed

I got my XP fully updated so I have no idea what's not working here.

Check to make sure the "Remote Procedure Call" service hasn't been disabled...Start | Run | Type services.msc and hit OK | Scroll down to "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)", right click and select "Properties" | Make sure the "Startup type" is set to "Automatic".

Another thing you could check is in the "System Configuration Utility" (Start | Run | Type msconfig and hit OK) | "General" tab | Make sure "Normal Startup" is selected under "Startup Configuration". :)

hmmm odd, it was listed as turned on in msconfig services, but not your way. Ill reboot and see what happens.

ok nm, it works when I use normal boot :p but its inneficient, but at least the installworked, thanks man

Back