• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonjay

Registered
My system is as follows:
ThermalTake V1000+ Black Case /
Vantec AeroFlow ~ VA4-C7040 Heatsink /
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev: 1.06 bios: 1004 /
AMD Barton 2500+ @2.2 (11x) (1.75vcore) /
Corsair Platinum PC2700 @200fsb /
LeadTek A250 LE TD 64MB /
Western Digital SE 80GB with 8MB Cache /

My system has been running fine on the speeds above for a while now. All of a sudden month back it started crashing in games and sometimes in windows. I thought it to be a heat problem as its summer. So I set my graphics card to defaults and it seemed the problem is fixed. However it started crashing again and when it crashes I hear my HD clicking, like it’s switching on and off. This happens just before the system crashes.

For 1 week the problem persisted until my windows got corrupted from a crash inside a game. I reinstalled windows and everything seemed fine, thought it may have been a software conflict of some kind. Although 2 weeks later it crashes and persisted to crash randomly, sometimes after hours of surfing, idling and game playing.

I therefore set all my back to defaults and the problem still persisted. Just the once when I first posted being in windows for 5-6 minutes. Again I hear a click from hard drive 2 seconds later a freeze so I gave up and went to sleep. Today my system has been fine not one crash…I been running all kinds of benchmarks, games to simulate the problem however it ‘seems’ stable. What could it be? I was suspecting my PSU? Its only 300w however it does seem to be good build quality compared to other 300w ones I have seen. Kind of hesitant to buy a new PSU just in case it’s not my PSU

I am really stuck as to what is going on in my system. Any ideas of help would be greatly appreciated.

Back