• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D Master HD problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axlecrusher

Hello, I am having a problem with my hard drives on my K7D Master. The drives make a clunk noise, seems to be when they are being pushed real hard, such as defraging, but I am not sure. The problem has been difficult to reproduce. The hard drives normally make the same noise when powered off. It seems like they momentarily lose the connection with the IDE controllers and turn them selves off. I have replaced the drives in an attempt to fix this. No Luck. I replaces the PSU, no luck. So all that's left is the mobo. Could it be a bad IDE controller?

System:
K7D Master
2x Athlon MP 2100+
Samsung 512 MB PC2100 Registered
Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM
Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM
3Com Ethernet
Some kind of modem
Geforce 3 Ti 200
Antec TruePower 550W PSU
DVD CD-RW drive
Floppy

Axle

Go into the BIOS and see if the Power Management is powering down the hard drives after a certain idle period. Try turning off any kind of power management that's on. Also, in some modern hard drives, you can change certain settings to make them perform better or be more quiet. If your hard drive is modern (I didn't look at your hardware specs), you might have one that has these abilities. Try going to the manufacturer's site and downloading the tools and see if you can change anything that you think might cause it. Be careful, of course, and be prepared to have a slow down if you change the wrong thing.

Also, I've never heard a clunk noise from a hard drive. I would have guessed it was the drive until you said you replaced the drive. But it seems to me that the only way that sound could happen is if the head is slamming into the stop (or case). As that's apparently not the issue, I can't really say I think it's a hardware issue. I don't think that a bad IDE connector can cause a hard drive to perform out of spec, as heads slamming into stops probably is. If you have a PCI IDE/RAID card, try running the drive from it to rule out a bad IDE channel, although I really don't think that's it.

Good luck

Z

Back