• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade time, QUIET setup suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsford

Current system in sig.
Current system sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I have 3 80mm high output fans and need everyone
of them to keep my case temp under 95 F in the heat of the deep south, although my house AC is set on 72-74.

Looking at going with an Intel 2.4 800fsb cpu and Abit IS7-E
motherboard. Not looking to overclock, gotten away from
that due to need for total stability.

Is this a good idea? I could probably get a faster AMD setup
for cheaper. But would it be as quiet as the P4 setup?
Looking to get down to one 80mm fan and the hsf.

Any opinions appreciated.

ONE? case fan? thats gonna be tough. You could get two 120mm vantec stealths or something, that would be quiet and have good airflow.

just get some vantec stealth 80mm's...using 3 is only like 3-4db more. and that's gonna be pretty quiet. Then you gotta mod your video card to accept a large silent fan...and chipset if relevent. I say go WCing with a 6.75" fan 7v modded....but that's just me and my 25-26db computer.

If you take the time and effort to overclock properly, 100% stability is possible.

Aside from that, if you want good, quiet cooling, here's some ideas.

First, 120mm fans are quieter than smaller fans. Larger fans put out more air with less noise. Look into ducting mods, and go for a heatsink like the SLK-800U or SLK-900U. These let you use fans that are larger and quieter than the intel stock heatsink, and could make it easier to duct.

Also, try going to round cables or serial ata drives.

And finally, consider water cooling. A good water system, (not a kit,) can cool better than a heatsink at ultra quiet noise levels.

Back