• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water pump, which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiltz

going to be setting up my new system with water cooling, was looking at a few pumps and was wondering what some peoples opinions on them were, my first water cooled system I went with the ehiem, but they are expensive so was wondering how these compair:

Eheim 1250 Pump (317GPH, 79" head) $67.99
Hydor L30 Pump (320GPH, 75" head) $49.99
Via 1300 Pump (370GPH, 72" head) $22.99

the via is the cheapes and has the highest GPH, but the smallest head, hydor is in the middle for everything, the ehiem is the most expensive with the biggest head, but the least GPH. how do they compair with each other noise wise and reliabilty, being quiet is important to me, but I want to make sure i'm getting something reliable enough that I could run out of the house for a few hours and not worry about the pump craping out.

my system will have a WW block, maze 4 GPU block, custom HD block (low restriction), d-tek pro core, I know the preasure is important for the WW as well, but wasn't sure if head or GPH was the more important figure to look at for that.

I would vote for the Hydor if you can afford it. The Eheim is pricey (but good quality).

Look into the Danner Mag 3. About $40 and a 10ft. head. More powerful then all of those and cheaper (except for the via). For our purposes, head is more important.

I would say to go for the Ehiem, it has a great reputation for lasting. Remember, this is only a one time fee, so it may be worth it to spend the $18 over the Hydror if it seems like the better pump. I dont know much about the Hydror though, so the difference may not be that big between it and the Ehiem. Try looking for reviews on google, etc.

-Noah

how's the Danner Mag-drive 3 noise wise? if it's quiet like the Eheim I think i'll go with it.

It's the only pump I've used, but I would say it's very quiet. Can't hear it above my low noise fans. I just placed it on a small square on neoprene foam.

two last questions, do you know what the dimentions of it are roughly? couldn't seen to find that anywhere, and does it come with any fittings or will I need to by the fittings seperatly, or is there any place that sells it with the fittings? only place I could find the pump was aquamarine supplies so I know they won't sell it with 1/2" fittings.

I got my danner mag 3 from marine depot, then I went to hardware store and bought the 1/2" fittings that I needed. the mag 3 has a small footprint, can't be more spacific right now (at work) but if you haven't gotten that info by the time i get home I will repost with it for ya. BTW the bag 3 is can't be heard over my case exausht fan

I also recommend the danner mag 3. It should outperform all 3 of those pumps. Not to mention the cheaper price.

my tape measure only shows inches
3-3/4" wide, 4-5/16" deep, 4-1/2" high

with the nylon barbs mounted
3-3/4" wide, 5-3/4" deep, 6-1/2" high

thanks, just needed a rough size so I can fit into the case, model everything up in 3d for layout and fit before I buy, hehe.

definately danner over via, its a clear winner. The via isnt even suposed to be run inline, it says in the manual for it! the danner is both. plus higher quality.

Jon

Back