• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting use of SmartfanII...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XJ

This all occured from when i purchased a cheapy little akasa heatsink to chop up into useful 'sinks.
Long story short, my dremel hated it, and took damn ages over it, so i gave up and decided to sort that later.
Meanwhile, i still wanted some additional cooling over my 8RDA+'s Mosfet region, as there are a few other chips around there that get hotter than the mosfets themselves.
I still had the 40mm fan from the Akasa heatsink, and came up with a few ways of mounting it over the chips, as i presumed that any airflow over them would be better than none.
Cable ties were my first thought, but wouldn't really be stable enough. I then removed my smartfan and noticed the long screws which held the Coolmod fan guard/LEDs in place.

I will let this diagram help to explain, and i apoligise for the poor use of paint;-
tt2675676545.JPG

With a little removal of plastic from the 40mm fan, they fit on rather snugly. There is actually a small bolt between the inside lower lip of the SF2 and the bottom of the 40mm fan, but that fits in there also. Just blast around the screw hole of the 40mm fan for a few seconds with a dremel sanding bit, and thats enough to fit it in.
As you can see, with these additional fans, airflow is reaching other specific parts of the motherboard such as mosfets/RAM etc. Now i know this may not provide huge gains, but i'm sure it wouldn't hurt.
There is also no chance of it stressing the heatsink->cpu contact, as the slk-900 is bolted down.
Just sharing a few insights with you guys, if you read this far without falling asleep then congrats.

~~XJ

well, it certainly wont do you that much good, if any.
but if you are so inclined to have something that funny looking in your case, it'd be pretty cool

Well, i forgot to mention that i only have the top left one in use. IT actually looks pretty cool, because people cannot see how it is mounted. Looks almost as though it is floating..

doesnt the fan shake alot since its the weight is unproportional??

plus the 40mm fan is moving so i'd think it'd making alot of noise on those Slk-900 fan clips.

I've got a 60 MM fan hot glued to the capacitors over the sinks on the mosfets. They are cool to the touch. I'd like to see pics of your setup, it sounds interesting.

It seems like the 40mm fans are snug enough to keep them from rotating around the screws, but I am concerned about the fans, themselves, vibrating.

interestingly enough, no, there is no vibration whatsoever. The fan also doesn't move, as it is as far down as either fan will allow.
I didn't tighten the bolt up very much at all, yet, there is no movement at all. Nothing vibrates or anything. The fan isn't weak either, it pushes quite a bit of air, unfortunately i have no stats on it, but i guess its pretty much the same as any other 40mm fan.
Its just a neat little idea.
(also, no digicam, sorry guys.)

Back