• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows2k vs XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I know this has been beet to death but unlike most I'm not asking which is better. Obviously windows XP is more up-to-date or so I think. Which is why I am here. With all of the service packs that are available for windows 2kpro. Is there any real difference besides aestheticly(sp?) pleasing?
Duck

Actually, windows XP Pro and 2000 Pro are almost equal in terms of being up-to-date. This may change when the XP SP2 is released, possibly later this year.

The major difference is with the crippled XP Home version which lacks the ability to log on to a network with a domain name, lacks file encryption, lacks multi-language support and lacks multi-processor support.

One notable difference is that windows 2000 has slightly better support for some legacy devices than XP Pro. As an example, my KT7A-raid system uses a highpoint 370 raid controller that is supported in Windows 2000, but is not supported in XP without an enthusiast modified controller/motherboard bios. Windows 2000 was designed to be an upgrade for machines that had been running NT since about '96, where XP was intended mostly for new machines built after its release (with some upgrades).

To me XP seems more bloated. I liked win2k. I was wondering about compatability issues, along with the ability to assign processes to a certain processor as I do with XP. I must say however I tried wink3 and it is very very nice. I had to drop it though because of the lack of support for some things and plus I couldn't get it to let me onto certain websites, like the ones i bank on, even though I had enabled the internet.

yeah, i am to the point where i don't know what to do... I have both w2k and xp pro and I am not sure which to run on my main pc. I am currently using w2k but I just got xp pro from my college for 5 bones so I am still debating the switch. I imagine I will put it on a machine sooner or later...mmm' probably later

WinXP is more bloated, yes. But XP and Win2k are based on the same kernel.

Take XP, strip out everything you don't need or want, and you have Win2k. Why not just run that, and save yourself some time ;)

If you actually want any of the added features that WinXP has (slow cd burning, lousy firewall, Fisher Price gui, etc) than XP Pro is a better choice- avoid XP home at ALL costs!
Also if you have had trouble with a piece of software you NEED in Win2K, then go with XP.
If you don't want/need all the extra bloat then go with 2k :)

Basically they ARE the same.

what are the install sizes like once all the updates? Is win2k or XP bigger since 2k needs a lot of updates?

i don't think i am a good dual boot candidate for a dual booting machine. it seems like i am reinstalling windows about every 6 months for one reason or another so it would just mean LOTS more work. i am going to stay with 2k pro for now...

Back