• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some tips on sleeving a psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ciffer

i am sleeving a psu and i have run into a few problems, i have gotten the molex connectors off but i need to know how to get around the connector for floppy drives, the other problem is getting over the "Y" in the wires (the connectors between the psu and the connector on the end.

you'll need to put all the wires together in one big bundle to put the sleeving on. in other words, fold the wires like they're supposed to go, sleeve one section at a time. wrong section, btw. you might want to ask a mod to move it.

I actually do this for customers and have done alot. Here is what I do.

I will assume you are using 1/4" braided sleeving which is the recommended size for the molex wires, if not consider getting some. Also you will need some heatshrink terminators for the ends, maybe 3/4" pieces, two for each section.

Once you have removed the molex plugs making sure to mark each wire (at least I do). I number them 1-4 and then put the numbers on the molex to match, this way no wires get crossed or plugs go on backwards. To get the floppy plug off loook at the top and you will see little spots where something like a small screwdriver will fit, you need to flatten those out and the plug will slide off easy enough.

To start sliding the sleeving on you have to use a caterpillar type motion: spread it slide it on, repeat, etc. Doing the long piece first start sliding it on, when you get to the "Y" sections what I do is bend the 2 back towards the psu and 2 towards the end of the wire, it helps the sleeving slide over easier and not catch as much.

Just keep doing it with each section and there you go, all sleeved and pretty. This is the first time I have tried to explain how to do it so it may be a little unclear just PM me if you need further help.

Back