• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some advice from you 'bongers'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

For those of you that have ran or are currently running a bong, how much water do you evaporate, on average?

I'm putting together some plans for an evaporative cooler, and right now I'm planning on metering the water evaporation rate to around 50-100 mL/hour.

At this rate, I would be evaporating 1.2-2.5 L/day. This seems awfully high to me, but then again, I've never ran a bong.

FYI, there will be forced air from a 120mm fan, and the room will be air conditioned, so the relative humidity should be pretty low. Does this sound like a reasonable evaporation rate, or should I adjust my calculation down?

I really can't help you on evaporation rates. Mine is automated so that I don't have to worry about refilling. I have a hygrometer in my office, and it definitely registers an increase in humidity with the A/C turned off, usually 10%-15% increase. I also track reservoir and ambient temps, and the reservoir temps always stabilize 1C-3C below ambient under cpu load.

*edit - I have heard of several people evaporating as much as 1 gallon per day.

Last edited:
I only ran mine in winter time, it's always dry as heck in winter here. It let me put off buying the .mrs a new humidifier.
Sorry I don't know the liters equivalent, I used a fridge-pitcher to refill it.
Some days it took one pitcher, some days it took about one and a half.

I use(d) a panaflo L1A 120mm fan in mine, so it had a great breeze (just so you know).

Diggrr, is that a 1-gallon pitcher or a half gallon pitcher?

Also, why is Echelon watching me? :p

Last edited:
i ran my bong for about 8 mos, summer and winter. most of the time it evaporated at a rate near 1 gallon per day, somewhere around 2 liters. your figrures are probably not far off. I used an autofil res that held 2.5 gallons, filled up every 2-3 days. good luck!

J.

That was a half gallon pitcher.

And Echelon watches everyone. Though you are only the second person in over a year that's noticed. It's just my way of saying howdy to "them".

you definately dont need a 120 from what I remember. If you get too much airflow you might blow water right out of the top of it.

Jon

Thanks guys, that's just the confirmation I was hoping. True, a 120mm fan may be too much airflow for the average bong, but this is nothing like a bong, except for the fact that it'll evaporate water.

a 120mm fan works good for me. I can't feel any moisture with my hand, but I can feel it against my face. I'm using a low noise Antec 120mmx25mm fan.

Hey Jon, I used the L1a model panaflo. It had the right size (I'll explain in a sec), and the lower flowrate as well as quiet.

Now for the size.
I found that when I cut the fan struts way out at the fan's surround with a thin blade hacksaw, it would just fit perfectly inside the expanded flange on the 4" pvc wye fitting, so I didn't have this big ugly duct taped wonder hanging off the bong's wye pipe. It fit perfectly inside the expanded part (where another pipe is supposed to slip in) and looked nice. Not to mention that it's actually just a hair smaller than the fan's origional surround, so the pressure from the fan is probably higher than stock.

After a while, I got tired of filling the 4.5' bong from the top, so I cut off that expanded part (including the fan) and modded it to fit the top. Then I just made a filter for the bottom part that easily removed to fill through the lower hole.

And Neo, I understand that your bong isn't going to be the standard type (from what you said earlier), but this tip may help someone.
Can't wait to see pics!

My bong was evaping 4-6L per day when I added my 226W pelt to the loop. I had mine for over 5 months and can tell you I will never go back to it after building my waterchiller

Steve

after all of my 5 gallon bucket experiences, i would say that i averaged a gallon a day. then i went fully passive and averaged 2 gallons a week. then the parents turned on the dehumidifier and i averaged about 3 gallons a day. i would walk over to the dehumidifier and take the resovior and dump it right back ito my resovior. but anyway good luck, keep us updated with pics. i cant wait to see what this thing is. oh yah and im back!

Back