• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk 900a vs slk 900u

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

POL-tec2002

what is the differance??
I will be using the Abit nf7-s mother board.
Witch one will cool better and stay on better??
Also has any one broken there mother board installing there slk 900??

The SLK-900A was just released so I wouldn't expect any experience with it yet. It's about 22g heavier than the SLK-800A. However, since you have the Abit NF7-S, you should go with the SLK-900U. It will fit on rev 2.0 just fine, but rev1.2 needs customized standoffs. Here's a link:
http://www.thermalright.com/faq_900_Motherboard.html

Here are some instructions for installing waterblocks with the four hole mounting, the same rules basically apply to all heatsinks and waterblocks:

http://dangerden.com/Instructions/instruction_page.htm

Here are simple instructions from a member of our forums:

nikhsub1 said:
matt2364 said:
4 hole mounting, do you know of any tutorials on how to do this, or even just the order that they go into, and do you have to take off the motherboard to install this?
Yes you need to take the mobo out, but just once, when the bolts are installed, you won't need to take the mobo out to remove/change the WB.

1. Put a plastic washer on the long bolt.
2. Put the bolt through the back of the mobo so the stud comes out the front of the mobo (the head of the bolt on the back)
3. Put a plastic washer over the stud in front
4. Put a nut on and screw it down tight, don't crush your mobo tight, just tight enough so the stud is firm and doesn't spin.
5. Put CPU in socket with proper thermal grease.
6. Place WB on CPU, hold WB down as to not disturb the TIM (thermal grease)
7. Put another plastic washer so it is the first thing touching the WB
8. Spring (or not, I don't use them)
9. Thumb screws to tighten the sucker down. Keep holding the WB until you are done tightening all the thumbscrews. Make sure you tighten each one a little at a time, going diagonally.

I didn't catch the what's the difference question... :eek:

However, I used the SLK-800A weight difference because it could make a difference for socket lug mounting. My socket is fine with mounting the SLK-800A. I'm not sure if it would be able to handle an SLK-900A, though. I recommend the U because it is more secure and will not stress the socket.

The fins on the 900A are perpendicular to the ones on the 900U because of where the clips are located and where the mounting holes are located. Its the same with the 800A/U. So besides the mounting, it makes a difference in the direction the air will be exhausted.

-Rav

Rav said:
The fins on the 900A are perpendicular to the ones on the 900U because of where the clips are located and where the mounting holes are located. Its the same with the 800A/U. So besides the mounting, it makes a difference in the direction the air will be exhausted.

-Rav

I don't get it...:confused: in the pic they look the same to me.

I was installing slk-900u by thermalright instructions on p4p800dlx and it just didnt work (had to use stock p4 bracket with springs) Why you ask?

cause i'm newb - i dont think so

I've followed instructions but i ran into a nice little problem - if i put 462 -> 478 metal bracket upside (with miidle part up -as per instructions) on standoffs i get approx .5cm (1/4 of an inch) clearence and there is no way base of heatsink can touch p4. If i turn it over (so that middle part is down - contrary to instructions) heatsink does touch processor but after tightening spring screws copper part (with metal that goes trough fins) is loose (metal around slk is tightened ok) and if i put mobo upside falls of cpu

I'm using standard p4 bracket and it works (its just not as secure as i'd like it to be), temps are great so i'm quite satisfied with heatsink just that damn sloppyness (manufacturing - 2 screws didnt even have grooves on - basicly useless and instructions) on the part of Thermalright.

Back