• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Wanna pick me out a quiet setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme404

Hey guys, this time around I am going for a quiet case. I am sick of hearing the dam thing from the other side of the house! haha.
So my processor is a XP2100, so I want to know what would you guys suggest for the best cooling/quiet setup for that. I want to keep my loads under 50. Also what 400watt or higher power supply is very quiet. And what case fans?? I am also looking for a new case so any suggestions on that would be great. So overall I am looking for a quiet setup, so any suggestions ideas or whatever just let me know!!

Thanks!

for case fans i really like my coolermaster tlf-r82's even though they dont seem to be that popularLINK

I use vantec stealth fans. The db level is around 21 for the 80mm verison. I think they push about 27-29 cfm. I also use them to cool my 1700+. But I think that would put the load over 50 on your 2100+

I run a Panaflo L1A on my SLK900u and I don't crack 43*C on a 800mhz OC on my 1700+ chip.

I also run a Zalman 80HPa on my vid card, Zalman NB heatsink, and 2 panaflo L1A fans exhaust out of my Chieftec case. My PSU is a Antec Truepower 430w.

Basically all I can hear is a little whoosh of air going through my PC. The HDD is way too loud and so are my hard drives.

AX7 is a good performing sink, especially with a quiet fan.
I just ordered a Swiftech 370cr. If you look in the rating page, it scores well despite a very quiet fan. They say the Zalman 7000 is all the rage but the Swiftech ranks higher (than the modded 7000)

Panaflo is the right choice for case fans. Near silent.

If I was in the market for a PSU I would be looking at the Fortron with a 92mm on the bottom. About 350watts but that should be enough for a while unless you're running raid.

Any FDB motor hard drive will be quiet but my Seagate Barracuda IV even has a peice of sound deadening foam incorporated into it, showing that silence is a concern of theirs.

One of the best quieting tricks is to simply take any CDs out of their drives when they aren't needed. There are a few "virtual drive" programs that make it so you don't usually need key disks.

remember when you compare noise ratings that
A) every three decibels doubles the amount of sound
B) manufacturers lie

xtreme404,

A lot of people seem to like the Antec Sonata case for keeping things quiet.

I agree about the Zalman heatpipe for the video card. They make one that has a fan on it now.

You might also try a Zalman heatsink. They are very quiet, and the fan is adjustable.

Panaflos seem to be one of the best quiet case fans. I've never used them, but you'll read tons of posts in this forum about them.

I would not recommend Vantec PSU's. Do a search and you'll find some people unhappy with their supposed quiet results. I tried some Vantec fans in my case, but they had an annoying whine so I took them out.

Also, check out this website for anything silent:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/

there are a couple of good choices for quiet cases:
Antec Sonata (1 120mm fan space: 1 out)
Antec SLK3700AMB (2 120mm fan spaces: 1 in , 1 out)
Lite-On FS020 (3 120mm fan spaces: 1 in , 2 out)

The reason for the 120mm fans is because they move more air at lesser dba. try going for a Seagate barracuda, WD special edition, or one of the new maxtors if u need a hard drive.

Awesome this all looks good guys. Now I need to find a new case that support these fans and provided good cooling flows. I want to try to keep the price of the case under $100. Let the suggestions begin!!!!

Thanks! ;)

My case isn't special except that it has drive bays all the way up the front. I removed the bottom three for a 92mm vent. 2x80mm fans are tucked inside (reduced noise exposure). There are still drive bays to spare.

Note: I replaced the PSU before ever turning it on with my previous Antec which now has a Panaflo fan.
codegen2.jpg

you guys should see this:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3606

it has lots of cases with both intake and exhaust 120mm fanholes

i personaly like this one:

http://www.coolcases.com/cases/d8000_s-m_p1.html

but i need it with a window and a cathode. on my eagerness for a killer case i found this which almost meets all my expectations:

http://www.xoxide.com/blackxdreamer.html

would somebody tell me if this one is modable so the front instead of 2x80 can hold 1x120??

ill appreciate it :D

Back