• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperture moniters?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enyo

how do i use temperture moniters with a watercooling system? i don't want to crush the thermistors.. and ill be using a lian li one .. are they water proof?

also i will be using two thermistors wheres the best place to put them?

Enyo said:
how do i use temperture moniters with a watercooling system? i don't want to crush the thermistors.. and ill be using a lian li one .. are they water proof?

also i will be using two thermistors wheres the best place to put them?
Well what are you trying to take temps of?
If its the processor right NEXT to the core is fine, and they are water proof so maybe right after yoru rad to get the water temp, or if you trust the mobo temp sensor you could put one before and one after your rad so you can get an idea of how well your block and rad are working.

hmmm.. I have a Digital Doc5 im not using, so whats the best way to measure water temps, I didnt know I could stick the probes in water, what do you guys do, use a "T", and seal it up good? Some other fitting?

i was gonna stick it in my resovouir though one of the unused barb holes and just stick it in and use a two part glue to fix it all in place and waterproof it..

[edit] and btw if thorillian looks anything like the pic in his/her avatar i will shoot my self in the foot and eat my toes.

water resiviors arnt the best place to mesure temps really.
if you have more than 1 probe i would put 1 right before the cpu and 1 right after . hehe if you got enough you can put them all over the place

Enyo said:
hrm any more details on exatly how to fix the thermister in place on the cpu or cpu block?

or a link to some articles on it..

A dab of superglue or a strip of tape, just make sure its not OVER the prossor but next to it, you will kill somthing if you do that.

thorilan said:
wouldnt it be great if Mobo makers started to suport reads from the cpu internal diode

It sure would, so many try, a few get close to correct,
I use a flat thermistor under the waterblock, just need a little measuring before assembly, I work out where the probe is to be placed, then put a small distance mark on the cable to line up with the edge of the socket, after the block is fitted I then bend the probe slightly in two places so as it's fed between the cpu and block it contacts the bottom of the block, then when the mark on the cable lines up the probe should be touching the core right where it contacts the block, reads a couple of degrees higher than being taped onto the cpu, plus no risk of crushing the probe or compromising the fit of the waterblock.
Have tested the probe with a "half speed test" similar to the one on the As3 site, and is good to within 1c, still not the true reading of the internal core temp aka intel chips but more reliable than most "on die" temps on Amd boards and given the correct amount of thermal paste should be very close to the top of the core temps.
The Digitaldoc5 has fairly accurate readings but can fluctuate with voltage changes, so for Cpu, water and rad temps I use a Senfu thermometer (battery powered) with a rotary switch selecting up to six probes.

thorilan said:
wouldnt it be great if Mobo makers started to suport reads from the cpu internal diode

If I'm not mistaken for a while they did that but it gives really high temps and I guess it was scarring people or somthing so they stopped.

Back