• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Centrifugal Blower plans... suggestions or opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I am in the process of polishing my plans for building a new case. The design requires that I manage the dust in my system very well, or my case will look really dirty fairly quickly - and any fan openings will make this even worse. So that led me to decide that I should just go with a centrifugal blower and minimize the number of openings in my case.

PLAN:

I plan to build a sealed compartment in the bottom back of my case to house the blower. The compartment will intake air from behind the rear of the case pulling it through a K&N air filter (The washable reuseable type - http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#WASHABLE). The fan will exhaust out of the compartment into a duct that leads right to the top of the CPU Heatsink. Case exhaust will be from the PSU and an opening in the bottom front of the Case.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Got an opinion on a better way of doing this with a centrifugal blower?

the only possible problem i see is that with not airflow through the case itself would create some rather bad "hot pockets (not the food:D)" like around the ram, video card.... etc. Maybe I just don't get what your saying

I've always liked seeing people do this. Any filter is going to restrict airflow a little bit, so that shouldn't be a big concern. If you are going to go with a filtered intake, just accept the fact that your fan's CFM rating will be reduced. Past that, as long as you are keeping to the input > output rule, dust will totally be minimized. By keeping the exhaust to 2 fans and having a powerful intake fan, positive airflow will easily be achieved.

Determining the ideal airflow pattern is pretty visual... based on your case. I sort of agree with Stan on the possibility of dead spots being a problem. Unless you have a decently powerful PSU fan, the airflow will probably focus on the intake to bottom exhaust fan... creating very little turbulance up top. You may want to add a blowhole up top, to encourage airflow that way. Again, this totally depends on the shape of the case. But, based on a typical case layout, I would really be worried about your RAM and HDD cage. I would strongly suggest adding some sort of exhaust to the North. Give the air a reason to hit those drives. Visual aids would definitely be a big help on describing your plan =p.

If you haven't seen the Geek Bling Bling site... here is a little inspiration:
http://www.blingmethod.com (home of the beloved Furby mod) click on version 7

vonkaar said:
I've always liked seeing people do this. Any filter is going to restrict airflow a little bit, so that shouldn't be a big concern. If you are going to go with a filtered intake, just accept the fact that your fan's CFM rating will be reduced. Past that, as long as you are keeping to the input > output rule, dust will totally be minimized. By keeping the exhaust to 2 fans and having a powerful intake fan, positive airflow will easily be achieved.

Determining the ideal airflow pattern is pretty visual... based on your case. I sort of agree with Stan on the possibility of dead spots being a problem. Unless you have a decently powerful PSU fan, the airflow will probably focus on the intake to bottom exhaust fan... creating very little turbulance up top. You may want to add a blowhole up top, to encourage airflow that way. Again, this totally depends on the shape of the case. But, based on a typical case layout, I would really be worried about your RAM and HDD cage. I would strongly suggest adding some sort of exhaust to the North. Give the air a reason to hit those drives. Visual aids would definitely be a big help on describing your plan =p.

If you haven't seen the Geek Bling Bling site... here is a little inspiration:
http://www.blingmethod.com (home of the beloved Furby mod) click on version 7

OMG THAT SITE ROCKs, i think i might pick up a furby just for that lol.
HOLY CRAP that guy rocks!!!!!11111 :p

Back