• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antifreeze causing noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telexen

I have a Via Aqua 1300...as you know a lot of people say it's too loud to begin with, but I'm still leak testing the setup for my system.

I originally ran the pump with 100% distilled water in the system. The pump was loud for a few minutes while the system was bled, but is now nearly silent. It did this multiple times, when I had to drain and fix a leak somewhere in the system, then put it back together.

The last few times I've put some antifreeze in with the distilled water...I used around 30% because I wanted some of the color of the antifreeze (orange), so it came out a light red color. Since I did that the pump will not quiet down. I thought maybe it was the antifreeze, so I cut the amount down to about 10%...and it quieted down some, but not a whole lot. NOTE During this I had NOT glued down the impeller

So I decided I would glue the impeller down. I've tried the pump with the impeller glued (not in my system, seperately) and it was very quiet.

My question is, will antifreeze cause some noise from a pump maybe because the substance going through the system is heavier? Would something like Water Wetter work better than antifreeze for this reason?

It might jsut be extra air moving around, but then again it is pushing a thicker liquid around with anti-freeze + water versus just water so its working harder. Did you do the epoxy trick on the impeller? That seems to quiet them down pretty good.

antifreeze seems to have the same viscosity as water....maybe even a little more viscous....it surprises me its any thicker because isn't antifreeze primarily made up of alcohol and that has a much lower viscosity than water....

I'm holding a bottle of antifreeze right now and it seems a bit thicker then water to me... Clings to the sides and whatnot.

Well the pump is running with probably around 15 - 20% antifreeze now, WITH the impeller mod and it's nearly silent...I can't distinguish the sound over the fan, even when I'm right next to it.

Back