• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie question right here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

wat is an intake, and what is an exhaust, i know they are different but the only thing that i saw stores sales are case fan, they never state whether it's an intake or exhaust, how would i know which is which?

intake is a case fan that brings air into the case
exhasut is one set up to bring air out of the case

intake and exhaust are two ways of aligning a case fan.
when you put a case fan into the case, if it is pointing one way, it will push air out, another way and it will pull air in.

a case fas is a case fan...it is either intake or exhaust by the way you have it set...intake means the air flow is comming into the case...exhaust means it is blowing the air out...on the side of the fan you will see a set up arrows showing wich way the airfow is going when turned on...so then you just set the fan(s) up to either blow in or out...

pretty much it refers to the direction of the air movement in relationship to the case. e.g. case fan sucking in air = intake, and vise versa;)

i generally like to have more intake than exhaust, but either way, still have quite a bit of air moving. Always try to eliminate "hot spots" in the case.

Always have more intake. This will equal less dust=cleaner PC=Cooler PC. But you still need to have SOME exhaust. You asking this questions really lets me know how far I have come since joining these forums. Only been a member for like 3-4 weeks and I can already give answers to questions I used to ask. Gotta love overclockers.com!!! w00t!!!!

NcBaller1985 said:
Always have more intake. This will equal less dust=cleaner PC=Cooler PC.

This is true if the intake fans have filters on them as dust still gets sucked in by fans. But it's easier to keep a computer clean by having more intake through the fans and filtering it, good call :)

Having positive or negative case pressure is up to the user. People had different experiences with both methods but I've seen people using the negative case pressure method mainly because you're sucking all the dust out. Most people don't like filters because they restrict too much air.

BTW, look on the fan's side, there are arrows showing which way the fan moves and which direction it pushes in.

Yodums

Back