• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

Alright, I want to get some good memory, PC3500 or better. Buffalo is REAL cheap and has Winbond. Is this good memory for oc'ing????? I want to get good performance out of whatever memory I buy, but but I also want the best bang for my buck. Buffalo good choice???? oh, I am going to get 1024mb (2x512mb) to run dual channel.

NcBaller1985 said:
I though Geil sucked when it came to Oc'ing?????????

Unless it has changed in the last month or so..Geil was really nice for Intel systems...sucked for AMD systems...

Be careful of compatibility. First, I see in your sig that you have an IC7 coming. Second, I've heard that Buffalo maybe switching to the newer Winbond CH5 chips.

From my own experience and hearing stories from others, there are issues with CH5 memory using dividers at high fsb on the i875/865 boards.

If you plan to go beyond 260fsb and using either 5:4 or 3:2 memory divider, CH5 memory will hold you back. I have personally proven this with 3 different memory: Geil Golden Dragon pc3500, Buffalo pc3200 BH5 and Twinmos pc3200 CH5. Geil and BH5 both allowed my board to post at 301fsb with 3:2. CH5 was stuck at 274fsb with 3:2 or 5:4. No post beyond that. This was observed with my P4P800-dlx and P4C800E-dlx boards. Others have found the same exact behavior between 260-275fsb and CH5.

If you can still get the Buffalo with BH5 like mine, you'll probably do ok.

Last edited:
Buffalo is very good for the $. some like the 3700 has bh-5 chips still and although not as carefully tested maybe as Corsair or mushkin, much better price.

NcBaller1985 said:

Someone on another forum bought a pair of 512mb pc3200 from them. They were Winbond CH6's and he's hitting a wall on his i865 board at 265fsb. Now, the one you are looking at is pc3500 so I wouldn't know what chip revision is on it.

I do find it troublesome about the way they advertise their memory. The guy above who bought the pc3200 from them says his memory has CH6 which is 6ns chip. Their advertisement says, and I quote:

True DDR 400, not that overclocked garbage that our competitors sell

Well, 6ns chips are not true DDR400. They are true DDR333. They should not make that kind of claim on overclocked memory. Corsair uses BH6 on their XMS PC3200C2 memory but Corsair never claimed they were true DDR400.

With that kind of false advertisement, I wouldn't be surprised the pc3500 you are looking at has Winbond CH5 chips.

Back