• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to safely clean a waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoolRunnings

Registered
I just bought some used waterblocks and the previous owner ran tap water through them, so they have some white buildup on them. I don't want to void the warranty by removing the plexi tops. Can anyone recommend a good cleaner that could be run through the waterblock without damaging it and yet remove the deposits?

Look for CLR because it is designed to remove calcium which is what the white scale buildup is but make sure it can be used on copper or aluminum because I am not sure but some scale removers will damage metals.

I would assume no since it comes in a plastic bottle but you never know...

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.asp
From this site:
DO NOT USE CLR on natural stone or marble, terrazzo, colored grout, painted or metallic glazed surfaces, plastic laminates, Formica, aluminum, steam irons, leaded crystal, refinished tubs or any damaged or cracked surface. May etch older sinks, tubs, and tiles. CLR may return older cement to its original white appearance. CLR is corrosive. Avoid contact with wood, clothing, wallpaper and carpeting. Some laminated surfaces (counter tops) are coated with a synthetic surface which may be affected by rust removers; clean spills immediately. ALWAYS TEST ALL SURFACES IN A SMALL HIDDEN AREA BEFORE USE. Always avoid prolonged contact with any surface. After 2 minutes, rinse promptly and thoroughly with cold, clean water.

Guess I should get some plexi and try it. I wonder if leaving some vinegar in the block for a day or so would do the trick.

in other words, don't use CLR on anything.... at least thats what the label says...

just take a cotton swap and use a drop of that stuff on both the copper and the plexi, on the other side, and if it doesn't blow up/catch on fire/turn black/turn white/glow/fracture/signal aliens/burn ur house down/steal ur girlfriend/murder ur kids/give you tax fraud/whatever...etc then you should be fine....

e.g. TRY IT FIRST

If you do take them apart, the best thing ive found to clean waterblocks is Ketchup. Plain ordinary Ketchup. It has salt which helps when scrubbing, and Vinegar to clean that bugger out.

It also rinses clean, shines copper up real nice and you can eat it.

really? oh shi7, *runs to mcdonalds* *orders fries and a drink*

so if i scrub the block with the fries dipped in ketchup it'll be even cleaner and then use just regular fries for the final scrucb it'll even look really shiny cause of the re-used vegetable oil right?

maybe we should start a new thread called "eat-able waterblock cleaning..."

does bbq sauce work? ... what other edables can also be used in water cooling? hey any got any idea on the thermal capasity of coca cola?..

annnnnnnyway.. oil.. yes.. my lovery radiator had traces of oil in it..

A) how can i get rid of it

and

B) does it actualy effect anything

there is only a slight irredecent sheen on air bubbles in the system..

1. use beer in a closed loop system as coolant

2. cereal for the peltier insulation

3. crest toothpaste as the thermal paste

4. hot sause for scrubbing stuff

5. and marshmellows for the hard drive sound padding....

anyways... enyo,... oil should really not affect temps that much, cause its not that it proally affects temps negatively, its that i'll be one helll of a job cleaning it out....

you're looking for non-oil citrus or acid degreeser and the use of a residue remover like clr,.... and then a solution to remove the residue from that.. and high pressure water afterwards.... etc....

i wonder if you could ferment alchol in your watercooling system?

probably need a waterchiller though .. can't have warm alchol.

ahha! ive even got a practiacl use of food in a computer case. .. chewing gum for sticking cold cathods in place!. and sealing leaks.. and.... well chewwing gum has infinite uses.. and you can eat it aftwerwards!

[edit] got carried away.. food.. and computers.. mmmm...

but anyway.. would oil act as a water wetter?[/edit]

Why not make a gin that flows through your system that way you get the effect of water cooling and some moon shine on the side
xxx:D

Now the Katsup i can see working. But be careful how many fries you use. You could be trading that calcium buildup for cholesterol buildup. That can lead to waterblock arrest....and that's fatal!

Back