• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing fan off of video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gbcue

Registered
I've been trying the freezer method for a while, and still cannot seem to get the dumb heatsink off of the card. Should I pry or twist? I've heard that wedging is better, is it?

Should I heat it up with a hair blow dryer instead?

I have a BFG Tech GF4 Ti4200 128mb DDR version.

there are 2 clips that you have to release before you can pry it off.. at each corner of the fan you got a pin just take a plier and squeeze the pin. Once the pin comes up then you can put it in the freezer and pry it off. Usually its harder ot get off after you have used the card if its new it comes off very easily

Freezing and then trying to wedge a credit card underneath the HS may help you out. Blow dryer wouldn't help at all, though, as the glue is made to take the heat and not come off.

Also, try to twist back and forth every once and a while, helps to loosen it up.

Maybe using a razor blade instead of a credit card can help; try cutting into the glue. Just a wild idea. :)

FIZZ3 said:
Maybe using a razor blade instead of a credit card can help; try cutting into the glue. Just a wild idea. :)

Careful about gouging the GPU. I wouldn't do it if you want your card to live, though.

um,.. is it me, or does bfg tech's website shows a card with clips/pegs/plastic things like any other 4200 card? e.g. just like the msi?

fafnir said:
um,.. is it me, or does bfg tech's website shows a card with clips/pegs/plastic things like any other 4200 card? e.g. just like the msi?

The new ones have clips, the old ones have glue.

ok, look, use the pry method... really, freeze overnight, then stick a flat head screwdriver with tape under the heatsink (find a flat spot without resisters first) and just twist the screwdriver... should be fine afterwards....

why do you wanna remove the thing again? cause it *might* get screwed up you know......

How much force are you applying? The freezer method works on the majority of them, if not the screw driver idea isn't a bad option just that if it's glued on that much, you might take a piece of a core with you.

Just keep that in mind.

hmm I like twisting the best, the gpu was inserted from top down so twisting will cause less of a chance for the gpu to get ripped off with the HSF.

I really really really need to replace the hsf on my bfg ti4200... I hope mine doesn't end up as hard as yours. Why are you replacing it? Does the fan make the most annoying noise as it is dieing?

Back