• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling and muffling noisy hard disks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disorganizer

Registered
Does anyone know of a way to cool and muffle noisy hard disks? Right now I have three WD1200's, two of which are installed at the bottom of my Lian-Li PC-68 with two ADDA fans blowing at them at mid-setting. I'm happy to report that the hard disks are cool to the touch! BUT, the three hard disks and the two fans make quite a bit of noise--it sometime feels like sitting in an aiplane! I'm thinking about getting a watercooled setup, so I thought some sort of heatsink on the harddisks connected to the watercooling would be nice....

Jon

Yes, they make Harddrive waterblocks that can be shared by 2 drives, so you may have to purchase 2 hd blocks, and that would be a pain (on the wallet as well as on your W/C setup). I'm not sure that heat is of a big concern, as those drives spin at 7200 RPM.. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much until you are to get 10k or higher, and I would just use one fan to cool them off.

A couple of Overclockers.com members have come up with interesting solutions.. Dare I say "Ghetto?"
Here and Here.

And good lord, thats a lot of HD space...

Last edited:
There only IDE drives and honestly I don't even cool mine. They get warm but nothing to worry about. Just a very little active cooling would make those things really cool. put a vantec stealth on the HDD's and you'll be set there like 22db which is nothing. Your 120mm or whatever fan you choose to cool your radiator will be much louder (atleast should be). If you really want something quiet check into 6.75" fans. I got one that is normaly 24v but I run it at 12 or 7v via a switch, it cools very nicely at 7v and is dead silent, at 12v it isn't much louder either but the difference in cooling isn't huge. They also make 12v 6.75" fans but there loud....even if there 7v modded IMO, you could try a rheobus on em but they draw a lot of current so be careful not to burn it out.

The hard drive sandwitch i'd love to try on my Hitachi, but be warned, this might not work on a WD drive. WD drives have a metal ridge going round the top of the drive which means a metal slate won't fit on much of the surface.

I would get some Water Blocks and put them on the side that has the PCB as long as the PCB won't touch (because of that ring and the black part seems to get the hottest) then put the HDDs in some foam or rubber.

WD heatsink problem

I just checked my WD 1200's and it is true that they have that ridge that goes around the top plate of the drive. I suppose the heat spreader would have to be smaller in dimension than the ridge. But what about the label? Would that compromise heat transfer?

I suppose HD heat isn't much of a problem. But I do like the idea that the cooler I can keep everything, the longer they might last before failure....

Thanks guys....

Jon

Guys think about it, the top metal part really isn't all that important to cooling, the black metal part where the motor and spidle and all that is mounted is the most important. The top only gets hot cuz the black part heats it up. Don't worry about the ridge on that plate. You would only need to cool the black part well.

Back