• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Invisible Context Menus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazerin

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, all context menus in winxp just turn invisible. The text in the context menu return when I scroll the mouse over them.

As seen in the following pics:
invisible context menu.jpg

invisible context menu2.jpg

The first pic is on the desktop and the second is in Internet Explorer.

It doesn't bother me that much when it happens but it'd be good to know the cause of it.

I don't really know when it goes away....I just forget about it. Maybe it is fixed after a while, or maybe it is fixed after a reboot. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm just wondering whether anyone knows what causes it?

Have you already tried updating or reinstalling your display drivers, or possibly tried an earlier driver set?...and when did the problem start? :)

Last edited:
When did it start....that's a good question. I think its suffice to say a long time ago. Long enough that I don't really remember. Well over a year to say the least.

I don't think drivers are an issue, as far as my brain capacity holds, I had this problem since the 29.xx detonator drivers.

It doesnt happen very often. Maybe once every fortnight. Doesn't seem to be a set trigger to it either.

The mystery continues....

Give this a try...right click My Computer, and select Properties (or Control Panel | System) | "Advanced" tab | Performance - "Settings" button | "Visual Effects" tab | Select the "Custom" radio button, then enable all the options.

Also, check to make sure your desktop background doesn't use Active Desktop (like in the case of a Web page). Check to make sure the "Lock Web Items on Desktop" feature is disabled...Display Properties | "Desktop" tab | "Customize Desktop" button | "Web" tab | Uncheck "Lock Desktop Items"...also, right click the Desktop > Arrange Icons By > Uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop". :)

Last edited:
I have it set to "Let windows configure what's best" and it's already all selected.

But I have changed it to custom just in case.

Now to sit back and wait until it happens again (or not).

Back