• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

900U and "Insert best cfm: dba ratio fan here"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DenonSix

Registered
Ok, dang it- i've decided to go with the 900U...I mean-- given the sturdier construction of the 4bolt on my Abit NF7-s 2.0... I might as well fork over the extra 7 bucks to step above the 800 right?

I appreciate all your guys help with selecting an 80mm fan and I nailed it down to the SF2 and Mechtronics, and even looking at the Panaflow H1A recently....

Well now that I am going 900U I might as well consider 92mm fans....Are there better cooling to noise fans out there that are worth it above the 80mm- I heard the 92's don't cool as well because of their fins...

Any fan suggestions to win this best cooling/noise now that we've bumped up the size?

I recommend the Thermaltake Smart Case Fan 2. It can pump out 75 cfm at it's highest speed, although it isn't that quiet. It's not that pricy either, you can get it for $15 up here in Canada. So that would be like $10 American or something.

***Edit***
Oh whoops. I'm thinking now by SF2 you meant the fan I was talking about... :bang head

Anyway.. Good choice!

I heard the 92's don't cool as well because of their fins...
and you heard this where? That is definitely not true. For the sake of an example take a 92mm tornado almost the same db rating as a 80mm tornado, but will prolly cool the cpu better. Ok for quiet and good cooling ill prolly get a 92mm panaflow there are some that do like 56 cfm at thirty something db. I think thats pretty good and its what im putting on my 900.

Eh, just a bunch of posts here and there- probably crap....

The Panaflow 92mm offers the best ratio?
(I know the mechtronics does like 56cfm for 39dba)

In the 50's cfm is more than enough on that 900u, i'd imagine....
Now i'm just looking for a fan like that that is the quietest of the bunch...

I say get a 92mm fan....also dba to cfm ratio is like comparing apples to oranges. db is a logarithmic scale, cfm is linear (for most part)...so get yourself a tornado because it's gonna have the best db/cfm rating.

well in that case i'm looking for the quietest dba fan that pushed 50+ cfm....

I guess you want a quiet rig so go for a 92mm fan that pushes a relatively good amount to cool the heatsink as it absorbs the heat from the CPU quickly.

It won't be necessarily that loud since as the bigger the fan, the lower the pitch. Panaflo would be great since they are known for their quiet fans.

Yodums

Anyone good sell the Panaflo 92mm and the SLK-900U?

SVC is outta 900's....

ajrettke said:
I say get a 92mm fan....also dba to cfm ratio is like comparing apples to oranges. db is a logarithmic scale, cfm is linear (for most part)...so get yourself a tornado because it's gonna have the best db/cfm rating.

That only makes it worse for Tornado. 10dB more equals to twice the noise for human ear (note: 3dB more is twice the sound pressure).

Smart Fan 2 = 48dB and 75.7cfm at full speed.
Tornado 92 = 56.4dB and 119cfm.

Almost double the noise, but pretty much less than double cfm.

How about the Enermax Variable 92mm fan?

Anyone have experiences with it?

The fan is ok, not really that popular since there are better selections.

There's also the Sanyo Denki which pushes 55.1 CFM @ 36dBA which isn't necessarily that bad.

This is according to Enermax's website:

Model No. UC-9FAB
rpm 1800 2300 2800
Rated Voltage 12V 12V 12V
Rated Current 0.13A 0.20A 0.28A
Power Input 1.56W 2.4W 3.36W
Air Flow(max) 47.34CFM 52.25CFM 64.15CFM
Noise 28.0dB 32.6dB 34.3dB

There are variable fans out there that can do better than 64cfm at 34.3 db ?!

ajrettke said:

No not really because a ratio is dividing something by something else. So you can compare apples and oranges in ratios. e.g. 5 apples per 6 oranges.... so yes the panaflow is a pretty good fan for db/ cfm ;)

breez said:

That only makes it worse for Tornado. 10dB more equals to twice the noise for human ear (note: 3dB more is twice the sound pressure).

Smart Fan 2 = 48dB and 75.7cfm at full speed.
Tornado 92 = 56.4dB and 119cfm.

Almost double the noise, but pretty much less than double cfm.

i have no idea how you did that, can you explain? 10db is twice the noise? where did you get that from?

and @ garyttu no i haven't seen a fan that is that good, but then i haven't heard of enermax's fans being good, but i have heard that panaflows are nice. That is where i based my post.

Well, noise/cfm ratio should be the only thing that matters :)

And if we compare sound pressure, the Tornado is even more worse as 10dB more is 10 times more pressure :) So 10 Smart Fan 2's at full speed yields only slightly more pressure than a 92mm Tornado ;)

id buy the 92mm tornado and a reo here... i know not even at its slowest speed it will be quiet but its wideness makes me feel pretty sure it will perform better than any other fan at the same noise ratio. just my .02

what's a good rheo for the tornado 92mm - any idea what the range in db and cfm is then? So if I slow it down to say 35dba, it will still outperform other fans at this level?

What rheo do you guys recommend for it- i probably only need it for the cpu fan realistically, so any other features on it like temp would be really cool...

garyttu said:
what's a good rheo for the tornado 92mm - any idea what the range in db and cfm is then? So if I slow it down to say 35dba, it will still outperform other fans at this level?

What rheo do you guys recommend for it- i probably only need it for the cpu fan realistically, so any other features on it like temp would be really cool...

yes at the same noise range it will perform better than any other fan because its wider. and you will need quite a powerful reo since this is is a big fan... just check the wattage this dude requires and search for some reos, then compare and select

Back