• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best RAM for ~DDR460 w/ BEST timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Hi everyone,

I realize there will be varying opinions about this, but please don't turn it into a mindless war.

I'm getting an ABIT NF7-S 2.0 in a week or so and I currently have Corsair CAS2 PC3200 RAM from December/02. I realize this is not the best, but I'll probably be stuck with it at least for a while =( since I've blown my bank account on this already. But in case my stocks go up soon, what's the best RAM to get? I'm assuming I will hit around 230 MHz FSB and I'd like to get some RAM that can run in sync with that. Also, being an AMD setup, timings are very important. Suggestions?

What does your current ram max out at now? As for the ram your results may vary. But i'd suggest Twinmos PC3200 (Winbond BH-5 cips), Mushkin 3500 Level 2 and Corsair XMS PC3500. Don't know how well the OCZ stuff performs, in regards to high fsb and timings. Not all three sticks I suggested use Winbond Bh-5 chips.

I would also recommend the Twinmos PC3200 with Winbond CH-5 chips first, but my second choices would be the Kingston Hyper X PC3500 (so far it is working nicely for me), and the Corsair XMS PC3500. All three of those ram modules seem to be performing very well consistantly, with the Twinmos at the head of the pack.

Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3500. Only PC3500 guaranteed to run at 2-2-2. Plus it'll have BH-5's too. Most manufacturers are using CH-5's now, which won't give you the timings you want. But honestly, you're Corsair CAS2 isn't bad, try overclocking it and see how high you can go. Unless those sticks are pretty new and you can sell them for a good price, I'd just stick with them.

TheMatrixHasYou said:
Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3500. Only PC3500 guaranteed to run at 2-2-2. Plus it'll have BH-5's too. Most manufacturers are using CH-5's now, which won't give you the timings you want. But honestly, you're Corsair CAS2 isn't bad, try overclocking it and see how high you can go. Unless those sticks are pretty new and you can sell them for a good price, I'd just stick with them.

I am pretty sure that the BH-5 will offer you the tighter timings, but will not overclock as well as the CH-5. I think that the CH-5 is a lot better of an option since it will hit the higher FSB speeds in sync.

If I was going to use my existing RAM (I am definitely for now since I can't afford the new sweet stuff), what voltage should I expect to use/how high should I go before I shouldn't go any higher? My case has some but limited airflow since everything is watercooled/Prometia'ed, and my rad fans are outside the case.

I use Corsair XMS 3200 C2. It loves the volts at 2.8.

This memory overclocks great! There was a thread saying that it wouldn't go over 200 fsb, but I'm at 225 at 2-6-3-2 timings.

Its all luck of the draw; all of it. CH-5 vs BH-5, Muskin vs. Twinmos vs. Corsair. I'd have to agree with Altec, though, in that the Twinmos CH-5 sticks tend to be the most reliable overclockers, although the other two are also excellent.

altec said:

I am pretty sure that the BH-5 will offer you the tighter timings, but will not overclock as well as the CH-5. I think that the CH-5 is a lot better of an option since it will hit the higher FSB speeds in sync.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the CH-5 is a lot better it may get you as high as 240+, but the timings wont be as good as the BH-5. The BH-5 generally get 225-240 with tight timngs whereas the CH-5 does 230-245, with slightly looser setting. He's looking for 230 so the BH-5 would be his best choice. If you wanna a higher overclock with less voltage the CH-5 is good. On an amd system it's more important to have tight timings than to have a 5-10mhz more overclock. My .02 cents. You'll be hard pressed to find many places selling BH-5 chips now though. I currently have two sticks and have another 2 on the way.

I've got 2 512MB sticks coming from Mushkin that are those black level II with the BH-5 chips.. Those are the only way to go and the only thing i know out of all the manufacturers that are currently selling BH-5 chip memory.

Use this code SUMMERDDR to get 10% off at Mushkin.. I payed 354 bucks total after 9 bucks in shipping.. The part that sucks is i could of got both sticks for 342 total after shipping but they changed there price right in front of me from 370 to 384 for the pair before the discount.

Back