• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danner Mag 3 or Eheim 1250?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enlightend

OK so I've been doing a ton of reading lately on what pump to get. I narrowed it down to 2 contenders: Danner Mag 3 and Eheim 1250. The basically have the same gph, but the danner has bigger head (11' I think). In any case the put around the same amount of head into the water, so that's no trouble.

Since this will be my first WC system, I need top-notch reliability in the pump (can't afford *any* leaks at all ;) ). I'm a little short on space, so my PC will be placed next to my CRT monitor. Hence my questions:

1) Which pump is more reliable?
2) Which pump is quieter?
3) Which pump gives off less EM radiation?

Thanks for your help :) .

btw, can someone please point me to a thread which discusses how to fix that O-ring problem for the danner (I couldn't find it from search).

Seems you have done your homework. I LOVE the specs of the Mag 3, they rock. I LOVE the reliability of the Eheims. The one (and huge IMO) drawback to the Danner is the needing to seal it up. THIS may answer your sealing question.

Odd, do all the mags leak? I ran a mag 5 on a bong setup for months without any leaks.

Maybe the newer models fix this leaking issue :confused: .

In any case I think I'll go with the eheim... it seems to be less noisy :D. Thanks everyone.

I'd have to recommend the danner. The danner is a more powerful pump and more reliable, at least in my experience. The danner is also just as quiet as the eheim, IMO. I could hear my hard drive over the pump, and I have a pretty quiet hard drive. On my danner, I sealed the pump with silicone just to be safe. Another good thing about the danner is affordability. As for the EMI, I've had it sitting about 3 inches away from my monitor and havent noticed a thing.

The sheer number of good things you read about the Eheim compared to the danner in any forum should clearly point you to the Eheim! Soooo many people can't be wrong...

The pump is the last piece for my WC endevor in the works. I have a Cascade on its way and I know head preasure is important in this set up. Which Eheim would prove equall to a Danner in these regards?

Also, I have a question regarding the Danner pumps. I am thinking about getting one of these, but I was thinking about going with the model 5 or 7. Are there any disadvantages to getting the higher flow pumps?

In response to cypher:
The eheim 1250, which is the most popular in the "High head/flow pump" category for watercooling, can be closely compared to a danner mag 2. While the Mag 2 doesn't have as high a flow rate as the eheim 1250, it does have a higher head rating. A higher head rating is more important for a block like the cascade. I would recommend going with the mag 3 for that block assuming you are using 1/2" tubing. While eheim does make more powerful pumps, danner carries a wider range of more powerful pumps, and at a much cheaper price.

In response to Posidon:
the only real disadvantage to having a pump as high powered as a 5 or 7 is that the power they consume give off excess heat. The mag 5 would be more then enough power for a full WC system(ie cpu/gpu/nb and so on). The mag 7 would probably be too excesive for those means, at least IMO. You shouldnt need more then a mag 3 in either case. It's the perfect balance of power and power consumption for almost any full WC system. If you'd like a good article on the pump, I suggest reading this......

http://www.wc101.com/reviews/danner/

Thanks alot TyRex. I've read as much as I could find on this subject and there's always a matter of mixed reviews/results on the Danners. I guess for the price, if it does'nt work out I could still afford something else.

interesting reading... The only thing I still have a question on is if the #3 still has to be reamed out to accept 1/2" tubing. I am not really comfortable doing this as there is a reason the plastic was made that thick at the outet in the first place. Removing the engineering factors of safety and introducing risk into my watercooling rig is not what I have in mind.

As for the 5 vs. 7, the only reason I was asking is that the #7 is only $4 more than the #5 at my local shop and it is the same form factor.

As a second question, what is the most efficient way to mount these fans for optimal cooling and noise control? What I really want to know is whether I should build a cooled enclosure or if I could submerge the pump in the tank I am building.

yes that's exactly right TyRex, you really don't need the Mag 5. It puts out a larger maximum gph, but compared to the Mag 3 its flow is about equal when under stress. And on top of that, it puts way more heat into the water. Even Cathar said himself that you won't need any more than a Mag 3.

enlightend said:
yes that's exactly right TyRex, you really don't need the Mag 5. It puts out a larger maximum gph, but compared to the Mag 3 its flow is about equal when under stress. And on top of that, it puts way more heat into the water. Even Cathar said himself that you won't need any more than a Mag 3.

This Mag 5 owner says get the Mag 3. :p

Right now I use the mag 1.9. I have a Mag 3 ready to go when i finish my new case and from what I have read from other people and what I have read in reviews I am glad I went with the Mag 3.

I have tested mine running inline and it has yet to leak so I guess I am lucky so far. I might still pull it apart and reseal it just for insurance though.

Mr. Forster (Cathar) himself recommended the Danner Magdrive 3 for the optimum pump for a Cascade waterblock, so that's what I'll be using.

~DP

Back