• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipped Core = High Temps ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dunga Bee

Hi everyone.

My question is:

Would a chipped core on a T-Bird 1.4 (not OC'd) cause the temps of the CPU to be 8-10C hotter than they used to be ?

The computer sits in the side compartment of a desk. I know that's bad for cooling, but I used to be able to run Folding@Home on it 24/7 and only be around 52C or so, max. Now at idle, the CPU sits around 50-52 (even with the front door of the case open) and when under load it rises to 60+ and if loaded for long periods, it eventually will lock up (from the heat I'm sure).

My cooler is a Glaciator II, with AS2 on it (I recently re-applied the AS2 and cleaned the HSF). I also recently installed 3 new fans in my case (1 intake and 2 exhaust, in series). I think the airflow through the case is ok.

The core has been chipped for some time, but I can't honestly recall when the temps started to be too high. I think they were ok for a while after it was chipped, but just shifting the case might have moved the HSF just enough that it now is causing this. It's the only thing I can think of that might cause it.

I have a spare Duron 850 I could put in there, but I'm not sure that proves anything since Durons will always run MUCH cooler than a T-Bird.

Thanks for your thoughts / advice.

It shouldn't raise your temperatures at all. At least before when I heavily chipped a Duron 1gig, nothing seemed to happen to it temperature wise. Are you use the heatsink is making 100% contact with it?

Also, try removing all the fans you installed and see if it goes back to normal. You might have screwed up the airflow in your case.

The first thing that I would suspect is the fan on your cooler. It may not be spinning up to speed and might need to be replaced. Can you monitor the fan speed either in bios or from a windows application?

Do you have a chipped core or a chipped package?

It's the actual core that's chipped. I use MBM to monitor the HSF speed and it says 5800+ right now, so I think that's ok.

The temps were really high prior to changing the case fans, so I don't think it is that. Perhaps the HSF is not sitting properly on the CPU or maybe my application of AS2 was not very good, although the temps were really high before I cleaned and replaced the AS2. I actually thought the AS2 had gotten dried or something and that's why I took apart everything and cleaned it and put it back together (cleaned with Goo Gone and replaced the AS2 with the new Ceramique from AS).

I'm really stumped by this. I thought it could be the core because now the HSF is not contacting that part of the core for cooling purposes.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yodums, curious what kind of temps you got with the duron 1ghz and what kind of cooling you used.

wow... I'm in the high forties load with stock cooling. It will not OC at all either. Not 1 mhz on fsb.

Back